Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First get your self a solid base.
    Striking (any kind)
    Wrestling
    Judo
    BJJ
    Sambo (the best to start with in my opinion)

Then after a good amount of time in one discipline you move on (like... a few years, depending on wht age you start).

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 2:11pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thinking about all the different martial arts i can choose from is making me drool like a kid in a candy store. My plan is to have 5 AM MT fights then start training BJJ 3 times a week while still training MT at my current gym and eventually move into an MMA one after a year or two to integrate it.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 2:13pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Build on a base, I agree.

Its not about mixing up reactions like the stupid kicking a baseball comment implied. Its about developing muscle memory patterns that come out under stress. You need a base that develops these into striking/grappling/ground fighting. I tricked a guy to do a focus mitt reaction once, because he did to much focus mitt training and it came out under stress (punch my hand) in sparring. He had a confused muscle memory system.

So to the OP, if you do two stand up striking styles at the same time, but they have different reaction patterns, you are confusing your programing. Which one will come out under stress? Is this a good base?

Also, as Yrkoon9 said, to many styles results in to much review and not enough progress. Its about repeated motion in the end, so if you stuff to much into the week you do not get enough repeated motion. I was told once that if you practice once a week you get WORSE, it takes twice a week just to maintain, and its only the third per week session that you get a little better. So mixers end up in that 2nd session "maintain/review mode" and never get enough "automatic basics mode" to build and progress upon.

So it is better to develop a sloid base to use as a reference point, then add in more.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 2:30pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The opposite argument would be that someone who trains at a mma gym only, trains for efficient attacks. They might be good at double leg takedowns, straight punches and one or two high percentage submissions. How well do 1 year mma-only gym fighters do against their equivilent in pure style gyms under mma rules?

I have a feeling i'd get destroyed by someone with my training time invested into a more diverse range of submissions, grappling and striking.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 3:47pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    The opposite argument would be that someone who trains at a mma gym only, trains for efficient attacks. They might be good at double leg takedowns, straight punches and one or two high percentage submissions. How well do 1 year mma-only gym fighters do against their equivilent in pure style gyms under mma rules?

I have a feeling i'd get destroyed by someone with my training time invested into a more diverse range of submissions, grappling and striking.
    If you do Thai Boxing I doubt it, I doubt they would even get close enough to you, maybe after two years or more though, so I get your point.

This question would all depend on how much real sparring the traditional style did, and if it was a specialized system (stand up only, etc..) or more well rounded. There are "pure" styles that cover all ranges too ya know.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 4:12pm

Style: Ninjutsu/Isshinryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    First get your self a solid base.
    Striking (any kind)
    Wrestling
    Judo
    BJJ
    Sambo (the best to start with in my opinion)

Then after a good amount of time in one discipline you move on (like... a few years, depending on wht age you start).
    But, what if I don't know what I want to be when I grow up?

In advance, I've been a "Jack of all Trades", in many ways, for many years. I agree that cross training means I won't invest enough time to get "good" in any one art. However, I believe I can get "decent" (or at least reduce my ignorance) by training in different styles.

My tentative plan is to complete 6-12 months in the following:
    BJJ
    Thai Boxing
    Arnis

Once I've studied grappling, striking and a bit of weapons, I'll determine a single art pursue farther.

(Note:I undestand a good MMA school or SAMBO school would be a more efficient route to martial prowess. However, I'm not really in a hurry.)

Does my plan suck?
    Last edited by gothamator; 8/22/2008 7:01pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 6:14pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gothamator
    But, what if I don't know what I want to be when I grow up?
    Then train whatever is convenient.

I started in Judo because it was cheap & I love throwing people but I couldn't make the commute to the Judo location, so I switched to Jiu-jitsu because it was near my home.

Some day I'm going to go back to Judo & try to develop my throws but in the mean time I've developed a solid base in ground work & (for good or ill) everything else I do is built on that.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 11:03pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, jkdbuck.

Everyone is different, but I don't like teaching people new elements until they are comfortable with the ones that they've already learned. If I start with striking, I'm not going to teach them any grappling until they have solid technique with striking. I'd rather someone be confident with a few techniques, than sloppy with many.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 11:30pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell so far, when i look at MMA schools here in edmonton, they do one thing really well and just have decent instruction in another area. Either really good stand up instruction, with a bit of grappling, or really solid grappling instruction with a bit of stand up.

Seems like the schools themselves want to push specialization.

Even Arashido, though they offer a muay thai class, seems to focus their MMA mostly pushing no gi jujutsu. Course, i only visited one location so....i could be wrong about arashido.
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 8/22/2008 11:40pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2008 12:17am

Style: Confused variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive been training 30 years or so now in different styles (not always by choice), assuming that a person is training in a good school/system and not crap, then I believe that it is best to train in that system for years, probably around 5-7 years and really get a good solid base, and then train in other systems.
    Its very hard to generalise, everyones different and has different amount of time available, so im talking about the average "hobbyist" who can train say three times a week.

I do believe that one of the causes of so much pathetic martial arts is that people are not patient enough to learn things properly, they never get beyond basics and then think they know a system, or even worse start a new system and teach.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast