Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 12:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Moo Sool Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find peoples distaste for protective gear unusual. It seems like protecting the body from potentially severe damage is a wise pursuit. I understand that it does not fully prepare one for the force of a blow in actual combat but it does allow fighters to practice full contact sparring without sustaining injury. Preventing injury allows a person to continue training in good condition and probably reduces the risk of damages catching up with a person in older age. Respected full contact martial arts such as San Shao also frequently employ the use of chest protectors. I would however love to hear some of the benefits of training/competing with minimal protective gear. I would also like to know what kind of training causes long term damage to the body opposed to simple bumps and bruises.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 12:50am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkattack4173
    If the same emphasis for kicking was kept but rules were implemented to allow for quick judoesk throws I believe the sport would be much more entertaining and more accurately represent actual combat. Any thoughts from others on the forum?
    Presenting for your edification, Taekkyon:

YouTube - Taekkyon
    YouTube - Taekkyon - Korean traditional martial art (highlight)

Points are scored by successful head kicks, body kicks that knock the opponent off-balance, sweeps and throws. IMO it's much more fun to watch than Olympic TKD.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 1:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope taekkyon takes off more in the comming years, I was fortunate enough to work with a taekkyon master for a couple classes but unfortunately I don't feel like I got much of a taste for the art in such a sort time. I wasent really aware that they did many teakkyon tournaments. My only exposure to that had been a single set of videos on youtube but I didn't realize it was fully regulated. If Tae Kwon Do adopted this same rule set that would be wonderful.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 1:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find peoples distaste for protective gear unusual. It seems like protecting the body from potentially severe damage is a wise pursuit. I understand that it does not fully prepare one for the force of a blow in actual combat but it does allow fighters to practice full contact sparring without sustaining injury. Preventing injury allows a person to continue training in good condition and probably reduces the risk of damages catching up with a person in older age. Respected full contact martial arts such as San Shao also frequently employ the use of chest protectors. I would however love to hear some of the benefits of training/competing with minimal protective gear. I would also like to know what kind of training causes long term damage to the body opposed to simple bumps and bruises.
    It's a combat sport. If you're not willing to take damage, then join a pottery class or something. Perhaps at amateur levels, protection would be wise, because a good percentage of people may be doing it as a hobby. But the Olympics? Come on.

WTF TKD is a huge disappointment. I'd rather watch badminton than TKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 1:38am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heavy shin/instep guards, no chest protector, no punches to face would make the sparring look like it does now, only with more punching. which is a good thing IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 1:42am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    Yeah, that would be the first thing to take care of. TKD sparring doesn't have the body shot power that makes it ok for kyokushin, IMO.
    Sorry, but... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    A TKD guy can't punch as hard as a Kyokushin guy can?

I've done TKD for ever, MMA for about a year, and what I've noticed is that the second you add 'hands to the head' the fabulous 'TKD kicks' go the hell away. Why? Well, because you get KTFO if you do that stuff. I think that is the real reason why TKD doesn't allow hands to the head (and most, if not all, of sport karate).

Anyway, allow hands to the head (maybe don't count points on them?), try it out, see what happens to the sport in some kind of controlled region etc. If it blows, return to the old way. Done.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 1:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    It's a combat sport. If you're not willing to take damage, then join a pottery class or something. Perhaps at amateur levels, protection would be wise, because a good percentage of people may be doing it as a hobby. But the Olympics? Come on.

WTF TKD is a huge disappointment. I'd rather watch badminton than TKD.

I still don't understand how a combat sport losses anything with the use of protective gear. I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why it is so appalling to practice a combat sport in a safe manner. Unless you are training for actual combat/self defense (not a combat SPORT) why is risking permanent damage by not wearing protective gear so important?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 2:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still don't understand how a combat sport losses anything with the use of protective gear. I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why it is so appalling to practice a combat sport in a safe manner. Unless you are training for actual combat/self defense (not a combat SPORT) why is risking permanent damage by not wearing protective gear so important?
    Practice with protective gear is fine IMO.

It's when you compete, especially in something like the Olympics, where certain protective gear should be abandoned. If you are going to test your skills with the best practitioners in the world, then make it under the toughest, least restrictive, rules so that it brings out the best in the competitors.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 2:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can understand that view point; high level athletes who can devote significant time to training would have less chance of injury anyway. In general however I have always felt that tae kwon do was designed to be accessible by many and for the average person who cannot afford to spend more than three classes a week practicing protective gear is wise.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 3:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nowadays Enshin & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MOST of us believe in safe training and safe learning, but there is a certain point where "adjustments" to practice go beyond safety and start becoming a hinderance to proper learning.

Overuse of protective gear results in overconfident students getting nasty surprises if they ever get into a "real" fight. When wearing minimal protective gear, one gets a good idea of what hurts and how badly, and thus knows what he can take and what he really, absolutely should avoid. Furthermore, training with minimal protective gear helps one condition one's own body, thus resulting in 2 important things: 1.) a practitioner is trained to eat a hit when necessary, and 2.) a practitioner won't injure himself with his own technique because he knows what limitations his own body has when the pads are off. Taking training to a level as close to a "real" fight as possible results in a practioner who is more ready than one who trains with too many limitations.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast