Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 4:15pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A-M, it seems to me that you and hype working from different sets of "unwritten rules". ARE there any throwdown rules? Or is it just what the two fighters agree on for that specific bout? You agreed to keep it light. Is there some tacit rule that limits you to stand up?

And ditto to Annatrocity's (and others') comments about range. With a TKD opponent, just get too close. They'll keep backing up until they fall out the window.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 8:27pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everytime I spar with someone from another gym or a stranger I always ask what type of rules and fight mode does he or she wants to choose...first of all, it saves time and pain and allows you to rapidly enter into the correct mindset. It also avoids those "You went too hard I think I broke my nose" type of situations!

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 1:29am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My friend was training a guy in Muay Thai, private lessons, and asked if I'd spar him. I agreed, and was told to go light. The other guy was apparently under the impression that I was there to practice ON, not WITH. He threw some heavy hits, I told him to lighten up. He yelled angrily, "Don't be bad sportsmanship!", in broken english.

I was pretty confused by this, so I decided to kick his ass. Not so much with power, but he was new and easy to block and hit repeatedly. I was hit pretty hard a few times, but you know, it was fun. When the round ended, I was smiling and go to shake his hand, he ran in his house (we were in his garage), and his wife comes running out yelling at me calling me a monster, and his husband is getting his gun to shoot me.

I was thoroughly confused at this point, and looked to my friend to get me the **** out of there, but he's smiling, somehow oblivious to all thats going on. To him (and myself), it looked like a good round, but it turns out the guy never been hit before and panicked.

I guess it's not always best to kick someones ass when they decide to go to hard. Or maybe it is. ****, even my friend was mad at me for losing him a student.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 1:35am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS anytime someone has their foot off the ground lots throw a jab (not intended to hit) skip in and make like you're gonna throw a cross but throw it way to far to your left) and then kick their legs out from under them while sweeping your arm back the other way to knock them over your kick.

It's the best kickboxing move ever, especially on people that can't keep their feet on the ground like god* intended.

If you don't get what I am saying tell me and I'll post video.

*sky dad

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 4:17am

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank White
    My friend was training a guy in Muay Thai, private lessons, and asked if I'd spar him. I agreed, and was told to go light. The other guy was apparently under the impression that I was there to practice ON, not WITH. He threw some heavy hits, I told him to lighten up. He yelled angrily, "Don't be bad sportsmanship!", in broken english.

I was pretty confused by this, so I decided to kick his ass. Not so much with power, but he was new and easy to block and hit repeatedly. I was hit pretty hard a few times, but you know, it was fun. When the round ended, I was smiling and go to shake his hand, he ran in his house (we were in his garage), and his wife comes running out yelling at me calling me a monster, and his husband is getting his gun to shoot me.

I was thoroughly confused at this point, and looked to my friend to get me the **** out of there, but he's smiling, somehow oblivious to all thats going on. To him (and myself), it looked like a good round, but it turns out the guy never been hit before and panicked.

I guess it's not always best to kick someones ass when they decide to go to hard. Or maybe it is. ****, even my friend was mad at me for losing him a student.
    He hadn't been hit before? What the hell, had he only been training a week?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 6:29am

Style: Yoshukai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    If you don't get what I am saying tell me and I'll post video.
    I think I get it, but a short vid would be nice....please.

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 9:41am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't mind seeing it too, i have an old karate habit of bouncing around which i slip into and seeing it get destroyed would be a good incentive to stop doing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 9:43am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL.... I am trying hard not to tempt the ban hammer by posting, "KEEP YOUR GUARD UP!", but SHEESH guys! Keep your guard UP!!!!!! Tired is no excuse.

The thing is, because neither of you two used your guard consistently, your defense was to back up. You both just spent the entire round backing away from each others attacks. I realize tiat it was a friendly "playing" type of sparring match. That's cool. I do it all the time. But if you hold a proper guard you can stand right up in someones grill, take everything they can dish out, return in kind, and still look clean and technical while doing all of the above.

Perfect example, the TKD guy in black chased the guy in the gray tee from one corner of the mat to another with these useless skipping kicks. If the guy in the gray tee had merely held his stance and guard, the TKD guy would have easily been knocked on his ass, even without actually being struck. I mean, seriously, if the guy in gray just took one step forward during all of that rather than run backwards, the guy in black would have been upended.

The guy in black simply needs to cut out all the pretty stuff and focus on effective striking. He had some good shots in there, but overall not too many. Many of those headkicks would have taken the gray tshirts head off b/c he was using his guard to protect his belly button rather than his head. He needs to work on more effective boxing technique because he was just flailing most of the time.

The guy in the gray tshirt first needs to work on his stance. While I realize this wasn't necessarily a MuayThai style sparring session, we have a saying in our sport that your stance is your defense. If you have a proper, balanced stance, you could have defended almost all of this attacks with minimal effort or movement, and been in optimal position to counterattack.

And I, too, was wondering what the hell the guy in gray was doing when he grabbed the guys leg and just held it.... I mean, friendly or no, DO SOMETHING!!!!!!
    Last edited by Khun Kao; 8/25/2008 9:53am at . Reason: typos & fixing code for the YouTube clip

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 9:48am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, here's a video that includes the technique AnnaTrocity was speaking of......

YouTube - Kaensak S.Pleonchit & Master K - 2

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 11:39am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, that's the one.

Though I usually do it from the outside rather then off a leg catch.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast