Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 6:33am

Style: BJJ & K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When road running what keeps me going is the contempt I feel everytime I see a sweaty out of shape runner barely managing to put one under used trainer in front of the other; if I feel that I am slowing I think of what they look like and the pain of pushing myself harder seems like the better option.

At the gym it is usually either fear of being punched in the face/choked or a mixture of wanting to be better/fitter/stronger and rage at the younger/fitter people who seem to be finding it easier going than me.

Basically I want to be as good as I am in my head and when I'm not it makes me angry enough to keep going.

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 7:57am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Totemicist
    When road running what keeps me going is the contempt I feel everytime I see a sweaty out of shape runner barely managing to put one under used trainer in front of the other
    That pretty much describes all of us at some time. Just wait until you come back from, say, a long term injury...you lose your fitness at an exponential rate. The rule of thumb is:

1 Week = 2 weeks loss of fitness
    2 Weeks = 4 weeks loss of fitness
    1 Month = 3 months loss of fitness

On the path to Recovery, it can be useful to go running at night. Just watch out for any moving effing lamp posts :5crackup:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 8:03am

Style: BJJ & K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did almost no exercise between the ages of 19 and about 24, when I started running again I felt like I was that runner and the self contempt was a useful tool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 12:37pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    1 Week = 2 weeks loss of fitness
    2 Weeks = 4 weeks loss of fitness
    1 Month = 3 months loss of fitness
    I've heard about this before. But it always seemed weird, if you train for a month, then stop for a month, you're now at neg 1 months fitness. Seems to me like if your in tip top shape, you can spend a week boozing and gambling in vegas, and come back the next week, by the end of that week all is good again.

But I feel out of shape and loose confidence if I miss 1-2 days in a row, so going a week or more is out of the question.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, for me personally, methods have changed over a while.
    Sometimes during strength training or cardio, the ego thing where I take my contempt and use it as fuel can work, but not during actual sparring or drills where I need to focus more than that. For some reason, being angry or stressed or thinking about someone I really dislike during training is MORE draining than thinking about nothing. It's almost as if the blood went to my brain or somewhere else in an attempt to calm me down.

I used to think I was weak because I couldn't take a grudge and use it as fuel for training (or even keep one for that matter), but now I figured that method just isn't for me.

So with cardio and what not, I like to listen to music, focus on something I see, or think of nothing at all.

I find that while lifting and doing pull-ups, I prefer someone to count for me because counting can be somewhat discouraging. I'll keep making a new goal ('okay, just 5 more' repeatedly) once I reach one and get frustrated, whereas without the number thing, I feel like I can keep going until my muscles simply can't do it anymore.

During drills, focusing on the technique. Not only does it help me ignore the pain a little, if I'm tired, but telling yourself the correct method in your head can help you remember it.

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KITAmaru
    Hey. Just curious as to what methods different people use...

Let's say it's been however long of hard, hard training and it just fucking burns. Your body will barely listen to you anymore. You're in for the final stretch. What keeps you going? What do you focus on? Do you stay in the zone and focus on the form of your lifting/running/whatever? Escape to a faraway place for mindless cardio, or pretend the mitts/bag is someone whose face you want to pound in? What kind of mental motivation do you use to not gas out before the time is up?
    In almost an U.S. Marshals gym they have an old poster of a prisoner doing lat pulldowns. Underneath it says: "Every day you don't work out someone else does"

Of course, putting it the gym is pretty stupid because the guys reading it are working out. It should be next to the candy machine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:43pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KITAmaru
    Hey. Just curious as to what methods different people use...

Let's say it's been however long of hard, hard training and it just fucking burns. Your body will barely listen to you anymore. You're in for the final stretch. What keeps you going? What do you focus on? Do you stay in the zone and focus on the form of your lifting/running/whatever? Escape to a faraway place for mindless cardio, or pretend the mitts/bag is someone whose face you want to pound in? What kind of mental motivation do you use to not gas out before the time is up?
    Chocolate milk.

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 3:39pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesai
    I've heard about this before. But it always seemed weird, if you train for a month, then stop for a month, you're now at neg 1 months fitness. Seems to me like if your in tip top shape, you can spend a week boozing and gambling in vegas, and come back the next week, by the end of that week all is good again.

But I feel out of shape and loose confidence if I miss 1-2 days in a row, so going a week or more is out of the question.
    It's a rule of thumb and was told to me by my circuits instructor.

From personal experience, it's my view that when you're at a high pitch of fitness you can reduce to say, 1 flat out session a week to maintain your underlying fitness. When you start to increase your training sesions, you can find yourself making improvements. It will be old news to many on Bully and some may differ but it's just my experience and opinion.

Cheers

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 4:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    It's a rule of thumb and was told to me by my circuits instructor.
    Any idea where he got it from?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2008 6:57pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only reasons I'm not fit like Greek statues are my laziness to start doing my exercises and my love for food. But when it comes to started physical activities, hell yeah. I'm doing it until I can't do no more and then do some more.
    That's when I find self-contempt works great, to get you going. I also find home training is tough, even without an instructor. Going to a gym makes working out hard 10x easier then doing it at home.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast