218358 Bullies, 6129 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 50 of 65
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Totemicist is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    474

    Posted On:
    8/22/2008 6:33am


     Style: BJJ & K1

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When road running what keeps me going is the contempt I feel everytime I see a sweaty out of shape runner barely managing to put one under used trainer in front of the other; if I feel that I am slowing I think of what they look like and the pain of pushing myself harder seems like the better option.

    At the gym it is usually either fear of being punched in the face/choked or a mixture of wanting to be better/fitter/stronger and rage at the younger/fitter people who seem to be finding it easier going than me.

    Basically I want to be as good as I am in my head and when I'm not it makes me angry enough to keep going.
  2. Eddie Hardon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,488

    Posted On:
    8/22/2008 7:57am


     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Totemicist
    When road running what keeps me going is the contempt I feel everytime I see a sweaty out of shape runner barely managing to put one under used trainer in front of the other
    That pretty much describes all of us at some time. Just wait until you come back from, say, a long term injury...you lose your fitness at an exponential rate. The rule of thumb is:

    1 Week = 2 weeks loss of fitness
    2 Weeks = 4 weeks loss of fitness
    1 Month = 3 months loss of fitness

    On the path to Recovery, it can be useful to go running at night. Just watch out for any moving effing lamp posts :5crackup:
  3. Totemicist is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    474

    Posted On:
    8/22/2008 8:03am


     Style: BJJ & K1

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did almost no exercise between the ages of 19 and about 24, when I started running again I felt like I was that runner and the self contempt was a useful tool.
  4. Nemesai is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    259

    Posted On:
    8/22/2008 12:37pm


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    1 Week = 2 weeks loss of fitness
    2 Weeks = 4 weeks loss of fitness
    1 Month = 3 months loss of fitness
    I've heard about this before. But it always seemed weird, if you train for a month, then stop for a month, you're now at neg 1 months fitness. Seems to me like if your in tip top shape, you can spend a week boozing and gambling in vegas, and come back the next week, by the end of that week all is good again.


    But I feel out of shape and loose confidence if I miss 1-2 days in a row, so going a week or more is out of the question.
  5. KITAmaru is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    60

    Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:24pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Sub. Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, for me personally, methods have changed over a while.
    Sometimes during strength training or cardio, the ego thing where I take my contempt and use it as fuel can work, but not during actual sparring or drills where I need to focus more than that. For some reason, being angry or stressed or thinking about someone I really dislike during training is MORE draining than thinking about nothing. It's almost as if the blood went to my brain or somewhere else in an attempt to calm me down.

    I used to think I was weak because I couldn't take a grudge and use it as fuel for training (or even keep one for that matter), but now I figured that method just isn't for me.

    So with cardio and what not, I like to listen to music, focus on something I see, or think of nothing at all.

    I find that while lifting and doing pull-ups, I prefer someone to count for me because counting can be somewhat discouraging. I'll keep making a new goal ('okay, just 5 more' repeatedly) once I reach one and get frustrated, whereas without the number thing, I feel like I can keep going until my muscles simply can't do it anymore.

    During drills, focusing on the technique. Not only does it help me ignore the pain a little, if I'm tired, but telling yourself the correct method in your head can help you remember it.
  6. Vorpal is offline
    Vorpal's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Hell of my own making
    Posts
    3,079

    Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:28pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KITAmaru
    Hey. Just curious as to what methods different people use...

    Let's say it's been however long of hard, hard training and it just fucking burns. Your body will barely listen to you anymore. You're in for the final stretch. What keeps you going? What do you focus on? Do you stay in the zone and focus on the form of your lifting/running/whatever? Escape to a faraway place for mindless cardio, or pretend the mitts/bag is someone whose face you want to pound in? What kind of mental motivation do you use to not gas out before the time is up?
    In almost an U.S. Marshals gym they have an old poster of a prisoner doing lat pulldowns. Underneath it says: "Every day you don't work out someone else does"

    Of course, putting it the gym is pretty stupid because the guys reading it are working out. It should be next to the candy machine.
  7. Yohan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    576

    Posted On:
    9/08/2008 2:43pm


     Style: JKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KITAmaru
    Hey. Just curious as to what methods different people use...

    Let's say it's been however long of hard, hard training and it just fucking burns. Your body will barely listen to you anymore. You're in for the final stretch. What keeps you going? What do you focus on? Do you stay in the zone and focus on the form of your lifting/running/whatever? Escape to a faraway place for mindless cardio, or pretend the mitts/bag is someone whose face you want to pound in? What kind of mental motivation do you use to not gas out before the time is up?
    Chocolate milk.
  8. Eddie Hardon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,488

    Posted On:
    9/08/2008 3:39pm


     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesai
    I've heard about this before. But it always seemed weird, if you train for a month, then stop for a month, you're now at neg 1 months fitness. Seems to me like if your in tip top shape, you can spend a week boozing and gambling in vegas, and come back the next week, by the end of that week all is good again.


    But I feel out of shape and loose confidence if I miss 1-2 days in a row, so going a week or more is out of the question.
    It's a rule of thumb and was told to me by my circuits instructor.

    From personal experience, it's my view that when you're at a high pitch of fitness you can reduce to say, 1 flat out session a week to maintain your underlying fitness. When you start to increase your training sesions, you can find yourself making improvements. It will be old news to many on Bully and some may differ but it's just my experience and opinion.

    Cheers
  9. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,335

    Posted On:
    9/08/2008 4:01pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    It's a rule of thumb and was told to me by my circuits instructor.
    Any idea where he got it from?
  10. FriendlyFire is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    146

    Posted On:
    9/08/2008 6:57pm


     Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only reasons I'm not fit like Greek statues are my laziness to start doing my exercises and my love for food. But when it comes to started physical activities, hell yeah. I'm doing it until I can't do no more and then do some more.
    That's when I find self-contempt works great, to get you going. I also find home training is tough, even without an instructor. Going to a gym makes working out hard 10x easier then doing it at home.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.