Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 7:49am

Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight loss help - Thyroid condition

Hey! I joined a gym recently to learn boxing and mma. It's an excellent place and the classes are intense, which is what I need. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (underactive) three months ago and have been on prescription hormone replacement. I expect to lose weight faster than I did before the diagnosis, but I would also like to help with a controlled diet. I tend to eat a lot of grains, oats, vegetables and fruit with meat in the evening. I feel I should increase the protein though because I only eat meat at night typically. I'm also trying to cut back on fatty foods like fast food and sweets, although I love cookies. =P I also mention I drink a lot of water, no more than two cups of coffee a day and love green tea. Any other suggestions?

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your post is slightly puzzling in that if you have an underactive Thryoid, I would have thought that you would be putting on weight.

Personally, I suffered from an overactive Thyroid and was so ill it wasn't funny. One of the side effects (there were many) was losing 3 stone (42lbs) unbelievably quickly. A Chinese TCM doctor halted it - to the surprise of my own family doctor.

Get your doctors' advice. After all, they must have been the person who diagnosed you so should be able to offer suitable advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 11:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    Your post is slightly puzzling in that if you have an underactive Thryoid, I would have thought that you would be putting on weight.

Personally, I suffered from an overactive Thyroid and was so ill it wasn't funny. One of the side effects (there were many) was losing 3 stone (42lbs) unbelievably quickly. A Chinese TCM doctor halted it - to the surprise of my own family doctor.

Get your doctors' advice. After all, they must have been the person who diagnosed you so should be able to offer suitable advice.
    I have, but I also lost a lot because I worked hard. I take medication for the thyroid, which stabilizes the metabolism. I'm trying to get down to my ideal bodyweight.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now you're on Thyroxine (that's what they gave you right?) it should be easier to lose weight. Before Macho appears and tells you to read the stickies; READ THE STICKIES!

There's some real good info in there.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 10:57pm

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I do have good news. I heard somewhere that your taste buds die off as you get older. Which is why you hate broccoli so much as a kid. Like now, I love steamed vegetables I could eat a full plate like candy. I have a minor thyroid problem and I get off weight pretty easily.(Keeping it off is hard though) I posted my diet on here somewhere but its nothing new. The majority of it is common sense. High protein low carb. Take your vitamins, say your prayers and be a good little Hulkamaniac lol. This also wont slow your social life, like when I go out with friends I know what to order. Chilis has a great diet menu. Lean chicken and steamed vegetables. Granted if your friends are like mine you will get a great deal of fag comments. Oh and no eating after dinner. Stay hydrated, I drink a gallon of water a day. Dont half ass it, once you get going it should be easy. FYI , I dont know how much of a sugar fiend you are, but you can have sugar withdrawals.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 7:54am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karritto
    Any other suggestions?
    Yes, read the stickies like was suggested.

Also make sure you read about healthy fats. Most people neglect that macronutrient.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 8:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dozer
    Well I do have good news. I heard somewhere that your taste buds die off as you get older. Which is why you hate broccoli so much as a kid. Like now, I love steamed vegetables I could eat a full plate like candy. I have a minor thyroid problem and I get off weight pretty easily.(Keeping it off is hard though) I posted my diet on here somewhere but its nothing new. The majority of it is common sense. High protein low carb. Take your vitamins, say your prayers and be a good little Hulkamaniac lol. This also wont slow your social life, like when I go out with friends I know what to order. Chilis has a great diet menu. Lean chicken and steamed vegetables. Granted if your friends are like mine you will get a great deal of fag comments. Oh and no eating after dinner. Stay hydrated, I drink a gallon of water a day. Dont half ass it, once you get going it should be easy. FYI , I dont know how much of a sugar fiend you are, but you can have sugar withdrawals.
    I work at the Olive Garden and always order off out diet menu when I get there. Fortunately, I hate alfredo sauce and love marinara. A lot of people think it's very weird, but hey I prefer the healthier stuff.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out the ingredients on that if you haven't already. A lot of sauces have HFCS in them to make them more delicious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 10:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    Check out the ingredients on that if you haven't already. A lot of sauces have HFCS in them to make them more delicious.
    Oh I know. One thing I do to compensate is always order lunch portions and get water or hot tea. Never soda.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 8:44pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best advise (other than sticky reading) is to have some protein at breakfast. A few eggs or a protein bar will go a long way to making you feel full and satisfied throughout the day, which means eating less, which means losing more. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast