Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 9:29am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada
    Personally i dont like using a treadmill, I just dont seem to get the same quality of workout that i get from a standard run.

(I like to change pace when i'm running and include sprints, which is of course much easier to do when your not looking down, pressing buttons and trying not to fall over whilst figuring out how to change incline,speed etc..)
    The cool thing about this treadmill is that it changes all that stuff for you. One of the preset work outs will have you doing 5mph at a 6% incline then it will beep and change it to 7 mph at a 8% incline. So unless I make the changes myself I really never have to look down at the control panel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tips and the articles.

/recourse

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by recourse
    The cool thing about this treadmill is that it changes all that stuff for you. One of the preset work outs will have you doing 5mph at a 6% incline then it will beep and change it to 7 mph at a 8% incline. So unless I make the changes myself I really never have to look down at the control panel.
    Minor point and don't mean to upset. There is a marked difference in using the Treadmill as compared to Running. I used to do a 30min warm-up (with the machine at full incline as part of a variable running programme - UK sp). However it was fairly easy as the Treadmill cushions the running of the user. Running my local Heath, the major physiological difference is Road Shock and its affect on tempering tendons and connective tissues etc.

Another difference is the impact of the Weather. Rain, freezing rain, hail, cold, wind, sun - they have more of a psychological effect. You need to develop some Character to cope with these.

I won't labour it, if you're happy with the Treadmill, then that's fine. It will give you good cardio fitness in a safe environment and you can stop when you want. As part of an overall programme that's fine.

If you are ever persuaded to run a Fun Run or similar, don't be too surprised if it's more "wearing" than your usual Treadmill routine.

Every Good Wish.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 10:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember someone once telling me that running on the road is actually not the same as running at 0 incline. You need to set it at 1.0. Not sure if it's true, but it's the rule of thumb I use on the treadmill. I mostly prefer outdoor running though. As far as the weather goes, the big thing is not having wind resistance in your face sometimes. All in all, I'd say that ANY running is good for you. If you enjoy it, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, you don't need to be running for an hour.

Google HIIT and give it a try.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 10:55pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oddly enough, I am actually faster on the road than I am on the treadmill. Its probably just a matter of it being what my body is more accustomed to. Running is good for you either way, its all just a matter of preference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 11:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Also, you don't need to be running for an hour.

Google HIIT and give it a try.
    Thanks for the tip Asriel. I googled it up and then spoke to my MMA coach about it tonight at bjj class. Said we can go over some of it tomorrow after kickboxing class.

Infidel

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 12:44am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went on vacation and only ran on a treadmill. Man what a mistake. After 5 weeks of that I tried to keep up with the rest of my crew and it was embarassing. You can't compare running on a road to running on a treadmill IMO. If your light jogging you might not notice it too much but anything faster and I think you will.

A treadmill almost pulls you along and it can lend itself to a false sense of accomplishment.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 1:00am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted a thread similar to this a while back:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59630

Some really good advice in there. Read it.

May i also suggest Swimming? To be honest, swimming is wonderful for loosing weight, if you can swim. if so, head down to the local pool and punch out a Kilometer every few days, depending on your schedule. If not you can look into doing water Aerobics, casual water polo or water running (exactly what it sounds like).

Swimming thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66730

Running thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...hlight=running

PT sticky thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61712

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 1:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1775
    Oddly enough, I am actually faster on the road than I am on the treadmill.
    It's because of all the cars. Run on the pavement instead, and you won't have to go quite as fast.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast