Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 1:00am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Treadmill Vs road work

Hey all,

So I have this really fancy treadmill that I've been hitting for the last month an hour a day 5 days a week. It changes speeds and incline to these preset workout programs you can select. It also shows you how many cal's you burn based on weight and whatever work out it is doing (not sure I believe it). Anyways I've read that normal treadmills are crap for trying to lose weight since they can't compare with the changes in terrian and such but I was wondering since mine changes its incline and speed through out the work out if its good enough? I really can't stand road work as I find it really boring and I'm able to watch a dvd or read a book while working on the treadmill (large type ftw). Just as an example here's one of the work outs I do.

Start off at a 0% include 2mph over the next 30 minutes the treadmill will change the speed up to 7mph with an incline of 10%. It will move around between those settings for 30 minutes then give me a cool down of 2 minutes at 3% include of 2.5 mph. After the 30 minute mark I reset it and do it again.

Is this "good enough"? Since I'm not really moving my mass through space am I getting a good enough work out? Should I be doing more than an hour to make up for that fact? Based on the readout I burn an avg of 600 cals each for that hour. Should I be burning MORE? My main goal is weight lose as I'm 5'11 220 right now and would like to drop 40 pounds by next summer. I'm working on my diet and been going to my kick boxing and grappling classes also around 5 days a week.

Thanks.

/recourse

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 1:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're the one that has been running 5 days a week for the last month. Why don't you tell use wether or not it works? I have heard that increasing the inclince makes the treadmill comprable to roadwork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 1:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point buts thats kinda why I posted I've been busting my ass this past month and while I can tell my cardio has increased my weight has pretty much stayed the same. I haven't seen any drop in pounds other than water weight really. I was going to chalk that up to it being only a month but I wanted to see what others think. I'm also sure since I just started watching what i eat these past 2 weeks that might have something to do with it. Since I love the pizza and all.

edit: typo
    Last edited by recourse; 8/20/2008 2:04am at .

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 2:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would fix the diet and get something to measure bf %. Also, I find running is more effective if you add an anerobic component. When I run, I jump off every half mile and do a set of BW exercises like pushups or frogleaps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 2:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good tip thanks. I will add some of those in to my routine.

Weak

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 6:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find I get just as good a workout on a treadmill as I do with road running, plus its safer on winter nights to run indoors.

Why don't you do a Search on this forum, there are some amazing videos and tips posted by some of our resident health gurus. This question is not new and has been asked and debated before.

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 6:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    I find I get just as good a workout on a treadmill as I do with road running, plus its safer on winter nights to run indoors.

Why don't you do a Search on this forum, there are some amazing videos and tips posted by some of our resident health gurus. This question is not new and has been asked and debated before.
    Indeed it has. Roadwork is harder....IMO and as I've articulated elsewhere.

Good Luck.

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 7:05am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally i dont like using a treadmill, I just dont seem to get the same quality of workout that i get from a standard run.

(I like to change pace when i'm running and include sprints, which is of course much easier to do when your not looking down, pressing buttons and trying not to fall over whilst figuring out how to change incline,speed etc..)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this was a thread started about running + fat loss but I just thought I would post a couple suggestions you might want to give a look.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=490160

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=490160

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 8:11am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stumbling and falling on the street is funny.
    Stumbling and falling on a treadmill is HILARIOUS!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast