Sponsored Links Spacer Image

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 11:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Counters to the Reverse Triangle from bottom of sidemount?

Hey guys, I have a technique related question. I did some searching, but I'm not too sure on the nomenclature, and I didn't find anything anyway.

Essentially, I'm in sidemount. I have one arm close to his head, and for the sake of description, one arm near his legs. He clamps the near-leg arm with his legs. Now, he pushes my head into this, trapping my head and arm in betwixt his head, just like a triangle. Except that I'm facing the opposite way than I would be in a normal triangle. I don't know what it's called; I had guessed reverse triangle.

Anyway, my problem comes with dealing with that. It's not like I've ever been tapped by it, or had it put me in a disadvantageous position. It's just really, really annoying. Everyone holds on to it for dear life, not trying to put me back in the guard, escape or sweep. They just clamp it in there, and squeeze n' pray, if you will.

What I was wondering is, aside from stepping over and sitting on their chest (which is what I've done till now, then I just try to crush them until they let go, afterwards I promptly go for a kneebar), are there any specific counters to this? With bigger guys, or guys with obscenely strong legs, my sit n' crush strategy takes too long (i.e., sparring is already over, and I've wasted my precious few minutes of spartime doing nothing).

TL;DR

Are there any specific counters to the reverse triangle other than sitting on their chest, trying to push their legs off with one hand, and waiting it out?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 11:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually fight a reverse triangle the same way I fight a regular triangle, which is by stacking them on their head. It's just a lot harder since you can't actually seen their head.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 12:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There really is very little excuse for repeatedly getting put there.
    I'd try not letting that happen be your counter.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 1:06am

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try circling to northsouth as they go for it while driving your elbow downward past their hip - use the circling motion to pull your arm out. When it's out and the elbow's down, post your hand blocking their hip.

Also, don't have your arm down there - either keep it up by their arm and head threatening subs or on the mat blocking their hip.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 1:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also be wary of the arm that's not trapped in the triangle. Usually, if a person catches you in a triangle from under your sidemount, he can also kimura that free arm, either finishing you or flipping you over.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 1:51am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't leave your arm between their legs. Or at least make sure they can't catch your head too. If they do, try going to knee-on-belly or circle towards north-south and squeeze their head with your knees (seriously).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 8:07am

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually counter by sliding one knee onto the opponents body, then posturing & kneebarring. As far as I know it's tricky to get that triangle unless they really pull your trapped arm through, so the opponent is likely to threaten the free arm with a kimura/reverse armbar/chicken wing sort of combo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 8:27am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, UpaLumpa is right, even though his ear is so wrong. In the always true and pertinent words of that martial arts genius, Mr. Miyagi, "Best defense: No be there"

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's usually when I'm trying some form of far leg attack from the sidemount that most of this happens. I'll keep in mind not to put my hand inbetwixt their legs, or letting my arm hover over/around that area.

Also, I'll go ahead and point out it's usually the bigger folk in class doing this to me (The smallest of which is 6'4'' 280). That's more of an excuse, though. Thanks.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 8:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually that just highlights the massive amount of space you must be leaving open for them. Big dudes like that have no business getting that if you're at all tight.

Anyway, all the counters have already been mentioned leaving this:
    quit playing footsie
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast