Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 8:51pm

Style: Modern Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Better hands, Franklin or Cote?

While thinking of the Silva/Cote fight I began to wonder who has better hands, Cote or Franklin.

Franklin obviously has pretty good hands (just ask Quarry), but he was no where near a match for Silva.

Since (I believe) his hands are the only shot he has at winning this fight, just how good are Cote's hands? His hand speed looks pretty good, and he clearly has good power, but are his hands better than Franklins? What about his head movement?
    Last edited by zookrider; 8/18/2008 8:56pm at . Reason: To fix my own idiocy

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 4:54pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cote is going to get eaten alive, Franklin is better then Cote in every aspect (just my opinion). Cote is still very good, just not up to the level that Ace and Spider are. I'm still hoping for a good fight.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 5:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the one advantage that Cote has is he has very heavy hands. Other than that, Anderson is better in everyway. Cote is going to get rapemurdered.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 5:36am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cote hits harder than anyone at 185, has solid technical boxing and Silva is but a man. Franklin was actually doing pretty well boxing against Silva (especially in the first fight). I'm not calling the Canadian a favourite or anything, but if the odds really do go to 5-1 I'll stick a fiver on him, he's got a better chance than most are giving him credit for.

The man I can see beating Silva at this point is Demian Maia. If he can avoid getting KTFO in the opening moments he can pull guard out of the clinch to negate Silva's offence and turn those lanky limbs into a liability rather than an advantage. The only problem is I think he'd have serious trouble if he has to get past Marquadt or Okami to earn his shot.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 8/20/2008 5:44am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 8:27am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think the advantage that cote has in this fight is the matt serra factor. virtually nobody has been this undeserving of a title shot since serra, and for that nobody is giving cote a shot. cote knows the pressure is off of him, and is going to throw some bombs hoping he gets lucky.

silva should win, but i wouldn't bet money on it -- simply because of how huge a betting favourite he is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 10:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Cote hits harder than anyone at 185.....
    I don't know if hits harder than McFedries. I know he KOed Drew, but I would still argue that McFedries is the harder puncher.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 11:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zookrider
    I don't know if hits harder than McFedries. I know he KOed Drew, but I would still argue that McFedries is the harder puncher.
    Hard to say, really. For the last few fights, Cote's right hand has equalled sleepy time for everyone it's hit flush, whereas I recall McFedries having to land a good few on the not-particularly-iron-chinned Alessio Sakara before he went down.

Would you accept 'Cote hits as hard as anybody at 185'?. Cote, unlike Franklin, has the power to put Silva (or anyone else) away with a single shot, was the point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Hard to say, really. For the last few fights, Cote's right hand has equalled sleepy time for everyone it's hit flush, whereas I recall McFedries having to land a good few on the not-particularly-iron-chinned Alessio Sakara before he went down.

Would you accept 'Cote hits as hard as anybody at 185'?.
    Yeah, I could agree with that.

Cote, unlike Franklin, has the power to put Silva (or anyone else) away with a single shot, was the point.

I'm not sure that we'll ever know if Ace has the power to put Silva down or not since Franklin was never able to hit him. I again refer to the Quarry fight when considering Rich's power, which is the only time I recall Nate going down like that.

In the end I really don't think it matters since I doubt anybody is going to land a flush shot on Silva anytime soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 12:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come to think of it, we really have no idea what kind of chin Silva has. Or at least I don't. When has it ever been truly tested? I thought Irvin would at least land a few shots before going down and I was looking forward to seeing Silva deal with some heavy hands. So much for that.
    Last edited by zookrider; 8/20/2008 12:02pm at . Reason: Grammer

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 12:46pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He ate shots from Dan Henderson, who has extremely heavy hands, and didnt seem at all fazed......

.....plus he's had MT fights. I'm pretty sure he got hit on the face in those.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast