Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 3:54pm

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used 2, 18-in #6 rebar pieces, duct taped to the approx size of an escrima stick. I practiced umbrella blocks, double sinawali, etc. It probably doesn't sound like much, but it'll wear you out.

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 5:00pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    I'd only think that one would go to the weighted object AFTER he has become comfortable with the object he is already handling.

The OP has already stated that he's got an issue with the heavy weight of what he's already wielding, so I feel that in telling him to improve his overall strength, he'd be not only better equipped for the weapon of choice, but sooner rather than later be able to take on the even heavier training utensil.

To just hand him an even heavier tool and make him wield that as he would the lighter sword, it's quite easy to see he's being set up for certain injury if left to his own devices, especially when weights/bodyweight exercises/plyometrics are completely ignored.

Neither one of us knows how long this person has been training, what physical ability he's at, or even what swords he's talking about, so I'm staying with the safer method of the two when compared with your "oh, you can't handle one pound? Here, do 10" I'd rather go the "hey, why don't you work on your overall conditioning and give it another try?"

But, that may just be me.

I wonder what the OP thinks.
    I do think that using nonstandard weights one-handed can lead to repetitive stress injuries pretty easily if you haven't already acquired decent form, esp when we're getting to 10+lbs on a single arm. I'd be worried about the elbow especially. There's a reason you've got to train to use Clubbels properly, and why tennis players often get stress injuries.

High reptition strikes against a tire, and medicine ball slams. The slams let you throw as hard as you want, use the same body mechanics as your strikes, and have virtually no chance of injury.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 8:57pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that thats settled, maybe we should re-analyze the OP.

He says his form was correct but that he could not actually wield the swords with any skill to be effective.

he said, "the swords were heavy enough that I realized I'd have no hope of wielding one in combat, and it made me wonder how effective a strike I could REALLY make with rattan."

So I return again to question the technique itself. He asks for help with "strength" training, but maybe that is not the limit.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    8/23/2008 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The DB's that have impressed me in terms of power use a combination of heavy stick and tire work, kettlebells/clubells and crossfit principles. If it works for them...

Just my .02
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 5:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the forearm strenght I am using wrist curls and reverse wristculrs with dumbbells and barbells. Moreover lunges with heavy dumbbells in the hands turned out to be quite effective. In addition, the use of heavy sticks seems to be very helpful.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another way to work the strike using the lunge is to hold a cable with the pulley attached above you and drop/twist the body. Then add in the minor wrist rotations and "hammering" movements in coordination with the drop and the rest of the arm. Its kinda like a lumberjack(woodchopper) but with a #1 or #2 strike technique instead. This exercise is great for dialing in your short explosive power.
    Last edited by Dr._Tzun_Tzu; 8/30/2008 7:25pm at .

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 2:51am

Style: Arnis, BJJ, Judo (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What we do in arnis to strengthen your wrists is just use heavier sticks, Most people in my arnis class have two sets of sticks, one pair is rattan, and the other pair is made from some sort of heavy wood can't remeber what it's called, but i made my self a pair of heaveir sticks from jarrah which is a really heavy australian wood and pratice with them sometimes. What you could do is probably with an old pair of sticks that are close to breaking is put epoxy glue in them and tape them up which makes them pretty heavy that's what one guy in my class did.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 3:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meson
    How good are your general strength levels? I wouldn't worry about any specific until you can at least do 20 Pullups or Chins (with a towel, if you are worried about grip).
    How many escrimadors/arnis players can do 20 Pullups or Chinups, let alone 10, or even 5??? That's not a very good requirement, imo...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 4:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    I've used 2, 18-in #6 rebar pieces, duct taped to the approx size of an escrima stick. I practiced umbrella blocks, double sinawali, etc. It probably doesn't sound like much, but it'll wear you out.
    My Silat teacher taught us this for getting speed & strength for blade and tjabang technique. Also will teach you control through movements. Wack yourself a few times with a length of rebar, you'll learn...

Wooden Dowel Pushups
    Pushups using dowels as described here will build tremendous gripping strength.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenand...t/Martial.html

The dowels are held however your art dictates holding a knife. For us it was in a diagonal grip across the palm, either forward or reverse grip. Start with just 1" or so of dowel sticking out and gradually move it out.

You do it two ways: trying to stand the dowel on its end like a thrust, or more at an angle to simulate the force exerted on a blade bya slash. You can do supports or pushups for reps. One or two hands.

The idea here is that most people who practice cuts have no idea what it's like when a blade hits something harder than air. Like a button, buckle, zipper, bone, gristle... the amount of leverage exerted by a knife is substantial and you can easily have it torn out of your hand or (even better) find your hand sliding down over the blade, regardless of whether it has a guard or not.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 3:52pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    How many escrimadors/arnis players can do 20 Pullups or Chinups, let alone 10, or even 5??? That's not a very good requirement, imo...
    maybe its too early in the morning
    but uh... isn't 20 pullups or chinups pretty damn easy?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast