Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 1:15pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strength Training for Arnis

So the other day I was practicing sinawalis when I decided to pick up a pair of metal swords to make sure my blade orientation was as good as I thought it was.

While I found I could still do the sinawali properly, the swords were heavy enough that I realized I'd have no hope of wielding one in combat, and it made me wonder how effective a strike I could REALLY make with rattan.

So, I was wondering what other people out there did for strength training for their arms and wrists. Lots of extra push-ups? Does anyone use steel or aluminum trainers? Free weights?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression that the rattans simulated a large knife or machete,

hence the length.

I was never told they were to simulate a sword, and would think that the length and mass of a sword would make it unwieldly for many of the techniques.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 1:57pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo23
    While I found I could still do the sinawali properly, the swords were heavy enough that I realized I'd have no hope of wielding one in combat, and it made me wonder how effective a strike I could REALLY make with rattan.
    If you can make an effective strike with the tiny bones in your hand, you can make effective strikes with rattan, though you would probably never have to.

take a dowel with a weight tied to the middle with a length of rope, roll the dowel to lift the weight up then down. Other than that, use thicker rattan sticks, or practice with a sword to get better at using one. Or maybe a bokken.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 2:09pm

Style: Hapkido/BJJ(newb)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How good are your general strength levels? I wouldn't worry about any specific until you can at least do 20 Pullups or Chins (with a towel, if you are worried about grip).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 2:55pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FickleFingerOfFate

hence the length.

I was never told they were to simulate a sword, and would think that the length and mass of a sword would make it unwieldly for many of the techniques.
    The swords I was using weren't any longer than the rattans. My main issue was just one of arm and wrist strength and how best to build them. So far, pull-ups and using a heavier training weapon sound like good ideas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 1:27pm

Style: MMA/Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't been doing Arnis all that long but the Army seems to have prepared me somewhat well for it strength wise. The heavy weapons idea is great, it's what most sword styles do to build the muscles used, and other than that, wide arm push ups and curls are what I tend to go for for lower arm strength. Hope that helps you out.

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 3:42pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three major strength development areas for striking power

1) Grip strength, which doesn't contribute directly, but serves as a limiter to how hard you can strike without losing your weapon. Search our fitness and grappling forums and you'll find multiple very well developed threads on grip strength. The stronger you get in any of these areas, the more you will have to focus on developing your grip.

For a long period of time, I was doing tons of power development with my technique in open spaces, swinging larger sticks, etc, but I didn't have anything to ACTUALLY HIT. As a consequence, I found myself wailing on people and then STRIPPING THE STICK FROM MY OWN HAND with the the force.

2) pulling power. In addition to just working your pullups and high repetitions of technique, i would reccomend pulling a towel isometrically cross body in short little "mini-workouts". One thing to remember during any kind of development of your pulling- you should be doing it with your entire trunk whenever possible. If you just work on your triceps you can develop incredible reps while still hitting like a girp. You really need to be doing something that rotates your trunk in some way if you can.

3) explode! Get a medicine ball. Slam away in short sets. Sledge+tire is also great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 10:30am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    work with denser or thicker sticks. maybe even try a material other than rattan. take it slow, and don't injure your wrists. i don't know how long you've been practicing arnis, but part of the problem may be that your technique is inefficient. practice (and swinging around a bigger stick) will correct that.

tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 11:57am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo23
    So the other day I was practicing sinawalis when I decided to pick up a pair of metal swords to make sure my blade orientation was as good as I thought it was.

So, I was wondering what other people out there did for strength training for their arms and wrists. Lots of extra push-ups? Does anyone use steel or aluminum trainers? Free weights?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think that if you aren't already hitting things often and hard with your rattan sticks, you should be. Other than that, towel pullups, and other towel gripping sessions should do wonders for your hands/arms. Pushups and weights can only help your in your training, as long as you train properly. For more on that, you should go to the Physical Training section of the forums.

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 12:42pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FickleFingerOfFate

hence the length.

I guess that depends on your definition of "sword"
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast