Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, the NAGA Viriginia Grappling Championships next month... http://www.nagafighter.com/virginia09-08_home.asp

And chances are I will only be doing the gi divisions. Don't think I am up for competing in three divisions in one day...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NAGA is NOT a BJJ tournament. You're gonna need to check their rules.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Federation rules are t34 r341 BJJ rules (according to the Federation).

NAGA has its own rules. They always have a rules meeting at the beginning where you can ask questions, but I'm sure you can find the specifics on their website. They are pretty good about responding to e-mails if there's something you still don't understand.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The NAGA site says that for the gi divisions it uses the IBJJF rule set.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats weird. I remember their BJJ rules being weird as hell and a nice change of pace. Guess thats just their sub grappling now.

Defense Against the Homeless Seminar, 2008 supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey

I just want to make sure gogoplatas are legal at white belt level. Last thing I want to do is get DQ'd.
    I think white belts doing gogoplatas is the last thing judges are worried about. I think I'd snap my kneck doing a double-take if I saw a beginner whipping out a gogo. (Not that they're all that hard, but still not something a white belt should be concerned with doing)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But thing you have to remember about white belts is how many stupid ones there are out there trying moves they shouldn't be trying (see: 3moose).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxThunderstone
    Thats weird. I remember their BJJ rules being weird as hell and a nice change of pace. Guess thats just their sub grappling now.
    Yeah, I remember NAGA be a bit more permissive than IBJJF as far as gi rules. Is this a recent change by Kipp Collar?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GJ,

It must be, and a change for the better.

Brian Cimins and Grapplers' Quest have always made it their intention to run real BJJ tournaments.

I'll compete in both again now, which is good, because I missed a lot of opportunities because my team has been frustrated with NAGA rules/refereeing (although Kipp was always responsive to our complaints and did what he could).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fidgit
    I think white belts doing gogoplatas is the last thing judges are worried about. I think I'd snap my kneck doing a double-take if I saw a beginner whipping out a gogo. (Not that they're all that hard, but still not something a white belt should be concerned with doing)
    Oh, it isn't something I am looking to do... but I have found they tend to present themselves alot when my opponent pressures in off an omoplata attempt. I can't help it my hips are ridiculously flexible.

I just didn't want to have to run things from my usual game through some sort of rule filter in my head. It's bad enough I have to throw out all my leg-locks.
    Last edited by Raging Monkey; 8/25/2008 12:55pm at .

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last