MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with Fatties

So I have this problem when it comes to martial arts - I have a very hard time dealing with fat guys who happen to have heavy hands.
    Honestly, for me, big fat guys are worse than big muscular ones. Opponents who just have thirty or fourty pounds on me (I'm about 150, 5'11) aren't a big deal, but the guys with 80-100+ pounds over me, amazingly enough, give me trouble.
    Striking wise, my normal game of kicking and keeping distance with straight kicks seems to go awry, as my slight frame is incapable of actually generating the force nescessary to push back their collossal bulks with teeps and side kicks and the like.
    I find the prospect of trading punches with these types a rather dangerous prospect, as people who way half again my body weight or more tend to have rather heavy hands. There's one old guy in my karate club in particular - he serves as the muse inspiring this thread - who has the heaviest fucking hands I have ever encountered. When last we sparred, I thought I was going to let loose the recent contents of my stomach after eating a sickening hook to the body.
    I can sometimes play a game of circling and throwing long hooks, but it's a rather limited and defensive strategy.
    Grappling, however, is even worse. Rolling with Brandon (who weighs approximately two of me) at the Ann Arbor pseudo-throwdown served as a testiment to this, as well those matches I've had with a ~250 lb gentleman from my BJJ club. If I try to shoot, it seems like one hand pushing me down is all the sprawl nescessary to send me face-first into the mat. If I try to take downs from the clinch, I can't fucking get my arms around their cyclopean waists for a proper underhook or body lock. If I try to sit open guard, seems like my weight is to easily tossed aside for a smash pass. And then once I'm in side control, it feels like no force on earth can get me out.
    So, besides the obvious tactics of feinting with doughnuts and wearing down their self esteem with jabbing fat jokes, what methods might I employ when facing a fighter who has such an overwhelming weight advantage?
    Last edited by TheMightyMcClaw; 8/18/2008 8:36am at .

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 8:40am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When the weight advantage is THAT severe, you really just have to wear them down.

You simply can't generate enough kinetic energy to damage those guys.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 8:41am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 8:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a fellow featherweight, my anti-pie-eater strategy for BJJ is half-guard sweeps (keeps their monstrous weight off me), followed by gi chokes from the top, especially the baseball bat or cross choke versions that use the far lapel (big meaty arms too hard to submit, scary rolls of neck meat make it tricky to sink my hands into their collar).

Once you do get on top, for which I recommend low singles and ankle picks as well as the aforementioned half-guard, you'll find that it's tough for them to get off their flabby backs. Aggressive use of the knee-on-belly (from which one cannot be bench pressed) will often cause them to waste their meagre cardio.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 9:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    As a fellow featherweight, my anti-pie-eater strategy for BJJ is half-guard sweeps (keeps their monstrous weight off me), followed by gi chokes from the top, especially the baseball bat or cross choke versions that use the far lapel (big meaty arms too hard to submit, scary rolls of neck meat make it tricky to sink my hands into their collar).

Once you do get on top, for which I recommend low singles and ankle picks as well as the aforementioned half-guard, you'll find that it's tough for them to get off their flabby backs. Aggressive use of the knee-on-belly (from which one cannot be bench pressed) will often cause them to waste their meagre cardio.
    I've likewise found that those rare occasions when I do get a top position on a plus-sized fighter, it's relatively easy to maintain it. Just very, very difficult to get there.
    I think it's time I started cultivating the low single.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 9:05am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're unfortunate to end up on the bottom you just have to develop your guard enough to keep the bulk of the weight off of you. If you don't, it's probably gonna suck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 9:07am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    I've likewise found that those rare occasions when I do get a top position on a plus-sized fighter, it's relatively easy to maintain it. Just very, very difficult to get there.
    I think it's time I started cultivating the low single.
    I also think it's easier to maintain a good side control on bigger guys because they usually have to work a lot harder to turn, they also have a much larger area to hold down. The flipside to that is they havea LOT of power so you really have to be careful of bridges etc.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried low single leg takedowns?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 10:24am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sweep singles, the only way to keep a fatty off your back. Ankle level double legs sometimes work as well, but sometimes they fall forward and u go splat. (spoken by the guy who was a 210 heavyweight wrestler in high school, god that sucked)

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry. Thought this was a BBW thread.

Seriously? Stay out from underneath the big guys. They'll just park on you and
    wear your butt out.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast