MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 1:33am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Whence do your MA vendetta's arise?

It seems that the majority of the posters on Bullshido have, in addition to the normal preference of hard contact combat sports over flowery performance arts and dead training, one or two martial arts which really get their blood rising in anger. Some seem to particularly hate Taekwondo, while other's set their venom against Aikido.
    So I would ask, for those of you who have one, who gave you the chip on your shoulder? What particular martial arts really sets you seething and railing, and why? Is it from experience, or principle?
    In my own case, the two which rise above all other's in the field of my own bitterness are Ninjutsu and Silat. Ninjutsu, of course, is perhaps the most popular whipping-boy of martial arts on Bullshido, and I suspect the formation of my own distaste regarding it is not too different from anyone elses: the poor power generation, ineffecient takedowns, and dead training which offends my sensibilities as a fighter. The sketchy and inauthentic history which offends me as an academic. The hokey, "be a ninja" marketing which exemplifies the problems of orientalism so prevalent in the martial arts community. The fact that I live within a one mile radius of no less than three Ninjutsu schools in Ann Arbor does not help.
    Silat, however, is a more personal story. I spent about a month studying Silat, at what may well be the worst martial arts school I have ever encountered: Training which consisted solely of jurus and motions in the air. A teacher who spent more time railing against Brazilian Jiujitsu and Karate than actually teaching. And most of all, a cult-like atmosphere that would put the Mystery of Isis to shame.
    And though I've heard of pragmatic and well rounded Silat fighters (I've heard - I've yet to see anything better than Taekwondo-like point fighting), and even, recently, found a Ninjutsu school that trains with alivness and acknowledges the dubious nature of "Ninjutsu" ryu-ha, it's hard to let go of my own biases.
    So I am curious as to not only if Wing Chun/Aikido/Krotty particularly gets your goat, but why? What was it in your experience that led you to such distaste for certain martial arts?

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 2:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont think I have an MA vendetta personally.

I just to love to make fun of ninjers

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 2:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i went to an aikido class and the instructor was showing me how to do a roll and how to fall. after he demonstrated them he looked at me with this expression like hes expecting me to be like WOW and applaude. so i did a roll with no hands and he said its too advanced for my level and that i should do it with hands and im like wtf.

and he demonstrated self defence techniques and the guy was punching him with some slow punch that would miss anyway, and nobody punches like that. and then when i asked to punch him he wouldnt let me.

anyway thats my story and its probably happened to everyone whos been to an aikido class.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 4:19am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tae Kwon Do.

My ire against TKD schools in general goes back to the classes I took when I was a kid, which successfully detrained all of my animal instincts and made me a shitty fighter for a very long time. Recently I have also encountered a McDojang within walking distance of me who's proprietor I may eventually make the subject of a MABS investigation. I've just always gotten the impression that the vast majority of TKD schools care more about organizational politics and fleecing soccermoms than about cultivating a fighting art.

To be fair, I have recently met one TKD instructor who isn't full of **** and who produces good fighters, so my problem really is more with the business aspect of TKD than the art itself.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 4:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do I have a ninjer issue? Lieutenant McRae.

I started a thread on his antics once. Cant be bothered finding it now. Scary thing is he's now a royal marine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 5:31am

Style: Muay Thai, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though I did do TKD mainly, I don't have any vendetta against it or any particular bullshit MA. I just hate bullshit MA in general.

It really started when I one of my friends was dating this guy who was a krotty blackbelt and kept telling her that he knew these deadly moves and how dangerous he was and he'd teach her to be dangerous too... or something like that. That just pissed me off when people are given a false sense of security.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 6:16am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually used Aikido on the streets. I was being arrested for being drunk in public, and the officer kept grabbing my wrist. Then he claims it was assault on an officer, at which point I sez, "ASSAULT?! Are you kidding me? It's just Aikido fer chrissake!" So he charges me for evading arrest, I plead guilty to riding my bike on the sidewalk and get time served.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 7:16am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine would be Aikido. They taught it as an option in our physical education classes, so I thought I'd give it a try; and I wish I hadn't wasted my time. The Sensei was a nice enough guy, but the drills and exercises were terrible:

• Totally complient defence drills
    • unrealistic attacks from both the attacker and defender(who holds both their hands down in front of their stomach in a street fight, I ask?)
    • what is in my opinion, a stupid 'You don't need to hurt them to win a fight' philosophy
    • and of course, almost every thing we learned was based on defending yourself from a wrist grab.

As I said, waste of time.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 7:34am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing chun, its smug assurance of its prowess over all martial arts really gets to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 7:58am

Style: The Gentle Way

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kuk Sool Won

Why?

- The obscene McDojo business practices. Forcing students to pay monthly deposits, even after they leave, by making them sign up even before they've taken a lesson. Charging huge amounts for grading, competitions and seminars all of which are compulsory. Forcing students to buy an entirely new (and expensive) gi for every Dan grade. etc etc

- The Bullshido training. I'm sure there are some exceptions as always but I have yet to see much that isn't flowery forms, sword/staff twirling, wrist grabbing compliant grappling, non contact point sparring and pink fans.
    I attended one beginner session as part of a deal with my friend and the thing that did it for me was the 17 year old assistant intructor telling me off for "punching too hard and forcefully"

- Most of all it is the personality cult the students and schools all have for the founder. It is standard practice to bow to a picture of him at the beginning and the end of each class. All of the instructors and high end students spoke to us about him like he was some kind of God, it was really freaky cult-like behaviour they all demonstrated and I genuinely was disturbed by it.
    The way they recruit new students by inoculating them with the very shady history of KSW as described in the founder's book. The book basically explains that KSW invented Martial Arts and has been constantly ripped off by the Japanese, Chinese and the West for thousands of years

The big problem I have with KSW is how they've brainwashed an old friend of mine. He seriously believes he is "teh deadly" and refuses to listen to any reason, even when forced upon him via sparring.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast