Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 9:19pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shock Doctor Power Compression Short with BioFlex Cup

I purchased the Shock Doctor Compression shorts approximately two months ago, as an alternative to the standard jock-strap style groin guard I used previously:
    and it's predecessor, a bulkier boxing groin guard:

The shorts come in two colors: black or white. The pouch in which the cup sits is secured by velcro.

Caveat: predominantly, my training consists of grappling rather than striking (judo/Freestyle/Submission wrestling). because of this, I can only really offer a perspective on the equipment in relation to it's usefulness in a grappling environment.

Pros:
    The Shock Doctors (hereafter referred to as SDs) are remarkably comfortable. Compared to the bulkier groin guard, they are less restrictive of your hip mobility, and the bioflex cup is far more comfortable against your abdomen than the jock strap, due to the softer gel rim.

They are durable, having stood up to frequent use in the two months I've had them (minimum of four hard sessions per week), and they still appear virtually new. Workmanship is good, particularly the stitching.

Protection levels are arguably higher than the jock strap, as the cup itself is equally firm, but sits more comfortably/appropriately.

They are also very secure, the cup sits in a stable, comfortable position, and the shorts are tight enough to feel secure, but not tight enough to feel constrictive. t

The price is reasonable - they retail for around US$29.99 from MMAWarehouse.com. I purchased mine for a little more (around AUD$40) from a local retailer, and am still satisfied with the value for money.

Cons:
    None really. What you see is what you get.

Conclusion
    I assume that any of the alternative compression short/groin guard combos available on the market would be very much equivalent in terms of fit and funciton. It is after all, a pretty straightforward design. As stated above what you see is what you get. In this case, you get a solid, comfortable piece of protective equipment at a reasonable price.

I have recommended the shorts to several people I train with, and will no doubt purchase a second pair in the near future.
    Attached Images    

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 11:21pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Review approved.

I see high marks. Did you field test this at all?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 12:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been using the Shockdoctor for a little over two months at about 4 heavy sessions per week. Thus far no wear is evident.

I will update the review in a few months, but I did make a comparison to the standard jockstrap and heavier boxing groin guards which I had been using for the previous few years.

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 1:45am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, apparently no one is getting my terrible humour tonight. Maybe because I just woke up after a nap.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I think that must be the third time today I've completely missed where someone was going with a comment.

an artist's impression of me earlier today.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks DM.

I bought one of these for my son and was thinking of replacing my Adidas TKD groin protector (like the one you have) with one of these.

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the shockdoctor definitely allows for better mobility than the TKD style protector, as it is less bulky, and the cup does feel more stable and secure.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 2:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian JJ, former FSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to go with Shock Doctor jocks for hockey and i found the quality of protection is good and the comfort level is also very good. I was using a traditional style jock for a few weeks of bjj and found it very uncomfortable and caused more pain then when I used no jock at all. I switched to the Shock Doctor Bio-Flex cup with compression shorts and the difference is noticeable. It its comfortable, allows for more mobility, provides good protection, and doesn't cause any chaffing which is a problem with some other jocks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 3:01pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear these, and I highly recommend them.

Very comfortable and durable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 5:21pm

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been using the SD shorts and cup for the past two months also and they are great. Very comfortable and I haven't had any pain in the junk for two months which is nice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast