Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 10:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing i noticed in the second half of the video. You tend to stick your chin up in the air and stand up real straight when you are punching. I'm sure you can see why that's bad. Keep your chin tucked.

Your hands are also real low towards the end. I imagine you got tired. Have you ever sparred with anyone that will constistently kick at your head? That tends to cure hand-down-itis.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 8/17/2008 10:29pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 10:30pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealknife
    I don't have a whole lot of striking experience, but I suggest you stay up on your heels a little more
    You mean stay off your heels right?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 10:35pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want my 3 minutes of life back. I suggest listening to Whiteshark's advice and edit the video next time.

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 11:23pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You aren't turning your hip all the way over when you kick. If you notice, especially on your missed kicks, you knee and your hip are pointing UP, which pretty much means you are kicking mostly with your quads. Even when you make contact it's skidding.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 3:15am

Style: ex-wrestling, boxing newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    You mean stay off your heels right?
    Yeah, sorry. Exactly what I meant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 7:34am

Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the advice gentlemen. I knew you guys would provide some solid input.

Until now, all I've received is praise for my performance in the video and it was beginning to make me too confident. I am glad you guys tore me apart. I needed it.

Like I said, I haven't been sparring for very long but I've seen improvements since I started.

Omega, I apologize for wasting your time.

Cheers.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 10:24am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah in 6 months time you'll be able to theoretically beat your old self up, keep this so you can look back and see your progress :).

Pretty much any advice i could offer you has been said better by the previous posters so instead i'll give you a tip on how to fix one of your problem areas. Evading every kick and backing up a lot works pretty well on the open mat mainly because there are no space restrictions, once you hit the end of the mat you pretty much have to reset the spar.

I had/have this problem too (thankyou karate!), one thing you can do which makes for a nice wake up call is to do some sparring in a ring. With limited space and big movements like that you will end up on the ropes or in a corner most of the round with no way to backup and little practice checking kicks or blocking punches. If you can't get any time in the ring (your gym might have a lot more people than mine) estimate the space of one and when you spar on the mats do not go outside that area. This will mean you get punched and kicked more but luckily for you With headgear and 16 ounce gloves on, the hits are not going to hurt much, so why not take a few and learn to fight better.
    Last edited by Sang; 8/18/2008 1:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 4:49pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one thing I saw was that you really just leave your kicks out there after you throw them. if you could learn to rechamber after a failed kick (or even a good one) it will make you alot faster

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 1:02pm

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I completely agree with whiteshark and darkson. Further, be more aggressive; you probably could of dominated the dude in the black and diminished his confidence by moving in and getting two/three kick combos on his ass followed up with strikes to face and guts. Keep him out of your perimeter with strong front kicks (but snap those fuckers back or you'll get caught). Good motivation just pick up the tempo.

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 3:12pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    one thing I saw was that you really just leave your kicks out there after you throw them. if you could learn to rechamber after a failed kick (or even a good one) it will make you alot faster
    This is the one piece of advice I disagre with. I would reccomend stepping straight down with the kicks more and delivering boxing combinations, at the very least if they're deflected but make contact.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast