Administrator

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 8:42pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusmaster
    I think I understand you, and if I do you have my most humble apologies. I did not mean to seem as if I believed that my beliefs are any more important than anyone elses. In fact I believe that everyone's belief should be accepted as just that what they believe no more no less. Like I said I'm not trying to sway anyone, just giving you a look at the thinging behind the Golden Lotus system. I know many may not agree and that is their right, I respect everyone and their art and mean no disrespect to you, yours, or your way of thinking.

Also I would have never questioned where you learned anything. It's not my place nor does it affect me to know who taught you honor, respect, loyalty or anything of the sort. To each his own.
    He Ping 和平
    I didn't get that impression at all. We both have our beliefs and that is that. We are here to discuss and disagree or agree.

No worries.

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is very interesting. Thank you for teaching me this I will do more research on it in my free time and anything you would like to add to help my better understand the theory would be greatly appreciated.
    You may find this bit of a ramble my teacher wrote handy: http://www.taijigongfu.com/tradition.html

Something to keep in mind, with regards to your screenname here -- "The word 'Master' in English is a bit more complicated, as in Chinese as well as English is has several meanings When a disciple refers to or directly speaks to their teacher (master) they will certainly call him or her, Shifu. Others including students* and people who do not know the teacher will not likely call them Shifu, it would be too much."

* Note also the distinction made between student and disciple. A lot of the bowing and kowtowing and humphing about honor we run into in the US seems to involve making every twelve-year-old nerd taking class at the Y into a mini-disciple.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 12:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Golden Lotus Kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I agree. We feel that a student is just that until they go through their rite of passage that we call the Yup Moon Dai Gee, then they are a student of the art until the rite of Yup Sut Dai Gee, then they are a disciple of the art and if chosen they will go through the Bai-si and become the disciple of a particular sifu. That's how we do it. PS I'm writing this from a cell phone so I'm not sure how well it is written please excuse any mistakes LoL

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 4:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know what i've noticed about kung fu and taiji?

it attracts the kind of people who tend to look for more then just a martial art, they're looking for a way of life.

that whole discipel thing: ive seen it, never took any part of it.
    to me it has a very negative ring to it, when i think of the word discipel i remember these images ive seen over the years: arrogant guys who cant fight for **** talking with a chinese accent, some lame-ass version of buddhism etc.
    it creeps me out.

lotusmaster, these rites you mentionned, they're those teaceremonies right?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 6:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Golden Lotus Kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    you know what i've noticed about kung fu and taiji?

it attracts the kind of people who tend to look for more then just a martial art, they're looking for a way of life.

that whole discipel thing: ive seen it, never took any part of it.
    to me it has a very negative ring to it, when i think of the word discipel i remember these images ive seen over the years: arrogant guys who cant fight for **** talking with a chinese accent, some lame-ass version of buddhism etc.
    it creeps me out.

lotusmaster, these rites you mentionned, they're those teaceremonies right?
    The last one the Bai-Si does have a tea ceremony yes as well as an oath reading, skill demonstration, lineage signing, and gift giving from Sifu to disciple some styles do a couple other things like naming but we don't change any one's name.

The other two are very hard physical and psychological tests. The Yup Moon Dai Gee you can apply for after the first tier. The Yup Sut Dai Gee you must be nominated by your sifu or laoshir in secret (the nominee must not know) and the nomination accepted by the Five Element council of your kwoon.

We do it this way so that discipleship on any level is earned and monitored.
    He Ping 和平

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 7:23pm

Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have some questions for the Lotusmaster as well, but I want to congratulate him for having the courage and decency to come and answer them.

(I have read the entire thread but I might have missed sthg. so if I repeat an already asked question feel free to ignoredear Si-jo)
    Do you have stances and forms (like katas) as one moves during the practice of this art?
    In these stances or during these moves what is the position of head?
    Again how is a practitioner supposed to hold his back and spine?
    What area of the body is a practitioner first and foremost supposed to attack? (like the center line of wing chun people)
    Do you kick with the side or blade of the feet_
    How does the punch look?
    Tkx in advance
    Take care lotusmaster

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 4:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last one the Bai-Si does have a tea ceremony yes as well as an oath reading, skill demonstration, lineage signing, and gift giving from Sifu to disciple some styles do a couple other things like naming but we don't change any one's name.

The other two are very hard physical and psychological tests. The Yup Moon Dai Gee you can apply for after the first tier. The Yup Sut Dai Gee you must be nominated by your sifu or laoshir in secret (the nominee must not know) and the nomination accepted by the Five Element council of your kwoon.

We do it this way so that discipleship on any level is earned and monitored.
    He Ping 和平
    Yeah that pretty much sounds familiar.

changings one's name is creepy in my book, like that it looks like a convert thing going on.
    about the word disciple, i never understood why they use it, discipels are people who spread or bring out the teachings of a ideology etc.
    As kung fu isnt a religion (considered not to be by most sane people) why use the word disciple, i dont understand it and it gives me a very creepy cultish vibe.

so about what you told about the physical and psychological testing, could you give me some examples?
    especially the psychological ones.

what the hell is a 5 element council?

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 11:24am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it makes you feel a little better Lebell, our kung fu school keeps beer in the fridge, and our ceremonies involve drinking said beer. Then beating each other up.

My sifu changed my name to Rocky, as in Rocky Dennis, after he hit me so hard my head swole up for a week. His is Wolf, because he gets drunk and wears a wolf mask.

We don't all pretend to be monks you know. But I know were you're coming from.

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 11:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frank, the stories i could tell, but i wont...

Posted On:
    8/27/2008 11:40am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lebell, young lad, maybe when you're older...
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast