Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Golden Lotus Kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank White
    I think it might be 5 classes per week, each different program is priced seperately.

What I'm wondering is why a self-defense program is seperate (and more expensive) from the kung fu program. Can't you defend yourself with your kung fu?
    I'm sorry I was unclear the Kung-fu is seven days a week. The tactical self defense isn't Golden Lotus Kung-fu it's an offensive programed designed for Cops, Prison Guards, or people how live in very bad areas. It's a 3 month program that offers crude but nearly instant result. Hope that cleared things up for you.
    He Ping
    Last edited by lotusmaster; 8/17/2008 2:43am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Guess
    You wouldn't happen to have any video of your forms, drills, or sparring would you?
    I suppose I could make some when i get a chance. But I'm not really sure what it is you want to see so maybe you could be a bit more specific?
    He Ping
    Last edited by lotusmaster; 8/17/2008 2:44am at .

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:45am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could Golden Lotus be used as self defense as well? Are crude but effective techniques taught in Golden Lotus? Why are the two seperate?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:47am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really have anything specific in mind. I just want to actually see a bit of what you do.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank White
    Could Golden Lotus be used as self defense as well? Are crude but effective techniques taught in Golden Lotus? Why are the two seperate?
    Well pretty much the first month of Tact. is title 18 sect. 501-507 of the pa crime code. The next two are how to kill the "bad guy" when the above laws say it's ok to. I teach kung-fu people to stay out of places where cops have to go so dif. intent, dif. training.
    He Ping
    Last edited by lotusmaster; 8/17/2008 3:04am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Guess
    I don't really have anything specific in mind. I just want to actually see a bit of what you do.
    Ok I will get to work on taping a class or something for you sir.
    He Ping

PS I hardly ever visit this fourm unless work is slow so please be understanding if it takes a while, and thank you for your interest.
    Last edited by lotusmaster; 8/17/2008 3:04am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 3:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusmaster
    Perhaps it's just a diference in the way we where taught. I was taught that "martial arts" or Wushu (武術) the character wu 武 means military yes. However upon closer inspection the base caracter (止) is four strokes that means warlike the additional 4 strokes mean cease or end. So in the way I was taught our "Martial art" means the art of ending warlike behavior.
    He Ping
    Just an FYI: Chinese characters do not always derive their meaning from the base character. Example, the word for the color blue's base character is that of grass. Martial Art, or Wushu, means exactly what it means.

If you're describing what your martial art emphasizes (ending warlike behavior) sure its your interpretation, but I have a feeling that what they meant when they derived the word Wu was something along the lines of "stop people from fucking you up by fucking them up first"

You'll find most of the posters on this forum think similarly, that a Martial Art is a martial art because it imparts fighting ability.

Note, after I finished typing the post i realized it doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 4:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    Just an FYI: Chinese characters do not always derive their meaning from the base character. Example, the word for the color blue's base character is that of grass. Martial Art, or Wushu, means exactly what it means.

If you're describing what your martial art emphasizes (ending warlike behavior) sure its your interpretation, but I have a feeling that what they meant when they derived the word Wu was something along the lines of "stop people from fucking you up by fucking them up first"

You'll find most of the posters on this forum think similarly, that a Martial Art is a martial art because it imparts fighting ability.

Note, after I finished typing the post i realized it doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand.
    Thanks for the heads up on that sir. I am used to and accept the new norm of MA being judged by their ability to fight and I have no problem with people feeling that way. We just don't feel that way, we do fight and we fight all levels of sparring but we feel in all honesty that it proves the least about our martial character. I have personally lost fights against every MA I've encountered, and won against every MA I've encountered. But that only reflects on me not the art just my understanding of the art as it applied to that situation. I come from a very small but violent city. It's called Reading, PA and it makes the top 50 most violent cites list in real numbers and only has a pop. of under 100,000. I say that not to say I'm badass but to say i have trained may students that already had an affinity for fighting. I would liken it to Kimbo Slice. What I'm saying is if I wanted to lie I would have sent them out to fight and claimed that my style made them what they are and people that believe that way would say, "fighting is the only way to prove martial arts combat efficacy." That however is not the case fighting only proves that the person fighting is good at adapting under the pressure of combat. It says nothing about they art they study it only speaks for they cognative ability to apply studied movement to an unpredictable situation. In the words of Gichi Funakoshi, "Karate-do wa rei ni hajimari, rei owaru koto wo wasuruna."(Karate begins and ends with courtesy) Though this comes from a Karate Master it is a philosophy that we can agree with. But I firmly believe in to each their own.
    He Ping
    Last edited by lotusmaster; 8/17/2008 5:18am at .

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 5:42pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusmaster
    I am used to and accept the new norm of MA being judged by their ability to fight
    That's not really a new norm.

It only stopped being the norm in the 20th century. Now it's coming back.

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 2:27am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    That's not really a new norm.

It only stopped being the norm in the 20th century. Now it's coming back.

There has been a long history of inefficient flowery styles of kung fu, though it probably has got worse in the 20th century.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast