Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Golden Lotus Kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang!
    We've covered this to an extent in past, but I would like to make a dedicated CMA version. So here we go:

What are the specific principles of your style?

What abilities does your style claim to impart?

What is the average timeline for the development of those abilities?

The nerve! On what basis are you cheeky enough to be claim enough expertise to speak for your style?

Thanks!
    Control and protect center line and vital organs, condition the bridge for use as a weapon, and recognise and be aware of your environment are the basic pre-sash principles.

It impacts one's mind.

It takes about 4 year of 7 days per week instruction and practice to finish the first and second tier at which point one is considered proficient

I'm the Si-jo 始祖 or founder.

He Ping 和平

Isolated and Confused

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusmaster
    Control and protect center line and vital organs, condition the bridge for use as a weapon, and recognise and be aware of your environment are the basic pre-sash principles.

It impacts one's mind.

It takes about 4 year of 7 days per week instruction and practice to finish the first and second tier at which point one is considered proficient

I'm the Si-jo 始祖 or founder.

He Ping 和平
    I know that someone else has already asked you to start a thread about your style and I'd like to second that request. I'm particularly interested in:
    • What makes up tier 1 and 2 of the system
    • What you mean by proficiency and why it takes four years to achieve it
    • When your style starts medium to hard contact sparring between students
    • How you test your style against others

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Failing to become awesome since 1976

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 12:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamabushi
    I know that someone else has already asked you to start a thread about your style and I'd like to second that request. I'm particularly interested in:
    • What makes up tier 1 and 2 of the system
    • What you mean by proficiency and why it takes four years to achieve it
    • When your style starts medium to hard contact sparring between students
    • How you test your style against others

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Greetings,

I rarely come visit the fourms. So I may have never recieved the firest request and for that I'm sorry I was not trying to ignore anyone. The firstly let me say this since you asked about the system. I have been hearing more and more lately about fighting, fighting, and more fighting. Some have even gone so far as to say that all martial arts are about fighting. Well mine is not. We do have the physical aspects yes but fighting is not the goal. That being said;
    • Tier 1 is the basic tier where Root, Connectivity, Balence, 8 directional movement, and Bridge are developed. This can be completed in as little as 14 months and as long as it takes a person to get it. The 2nd tier focuses on application of skill, recognition of weaknesses and strengths, the difference between shape and application, the ability to generate force for the ground, direct it with the waist, and express it with the hands and could be cmpleted in 26 months. This is of course a summary of the 1st and 2nd tier.
    • I said proficiency to mean that the student at the end of the 2nd tier would not need to go on to the other tiers if they did not wish to. In other words the could refine what they have learned and demonstrate it properly without an instructor.
    • Continuous Sparring begins at the Orange sash level or right in the middle of the 1st tier.
    • Tournament(I will not however attend any "XMA" tournament and that is just a personal preference).
    I hope I answered you clearly,
    He Ping 和平

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 12:56am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do have the physical aspects yes but fighting is not the goal.
    Um, okay I'll bite. What is your goal?

Edit: I googled your system name and found the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_...Kung-fu_system

According to that page, your goals are longevity, physical health, and mental health.

What differentiates this from say ...

...yoga?

... or vegan with membership to the local health club?

Double edit: A later google link was your webpage: http://www.goldenlotusacademy.org/

Before we play a fun round of online 'catch jab', I would like to say right off the bat that, assuming no hidden fees, your pricing of $60/month five days per week is more than reasonable.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 8/17/2008 1:38am at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 1:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Golden Lotus Kung-Fu

Greetings,

I was asked to talk a little about my style. My style is called Golden Lotus Kung-fu. I founded it so it is only a little over a decade old. I started training at age 4 in Bujitsu under Sensei Tim Robinson, student of O'Sensei Terry Hayford, student of Prof. Ronald Duncun. I then began my Kung-fu study under Sifu James H. Smith in Wing Tao Kuen in Reading, PA. Sifu Smith then introduced me to Daoshi Yhi Shou Yun who was my last offical instructor. I used elements of Taoism and the Chinese style arts I had trained in to found Golden Lotus Kung-Fu with the blessing of Sifu Smith. The system holds true to the discipline of Kung-Fu and has the same foundational theories, such as centerline awarness, eight directional stepping, Sinking of root, Total body mechanics etc... The diferences lay in the uniformity of all long range techniques governed by body part, or in other words all of our kicks for example look exactly the same until impact however using the classical theory of power generation(power is rooted in the stance, directed by the waist, expressed by the hands or in this example feet) we lose no force of impact. This is one of the 27 cores of Golden lotus. However it's important to note that Golden Lotus Kung-Fu is not about fighting. The goal of the system is to better know yourself and achieve harmony with that so that you may achieve harmony with the way of nature. Please understand that we do some things diferently which is why we are not bak si lum or Wudang shan. Our Gwan (kwoon)館 operates 7 days a week with no training time restrictions no testing fees and I pay for tournament and tournament transportation for $60/month. So I know how some of you guys are but I make no money at all from this and it's cost me more than anything else I do. I do it because i love it nothing more nothing less. So that's all I got for now you guys who asked me to do this I hope this is what you wanted if not let me know and the next time I got a free moment at work an I log on I'll reply to it.
    He Ping

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 1:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Um, okay I'll bite. What is your goal?

Edit: I googled your system name and found the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_...Kung-fu_system

According to that page, your goals are longevity, physical health, and mental health.

What differentiates this from say ...

...yoga?

... or vegan with membership to the local health club?
    I would be improper to speak on Yoga or Veganism because I am trained in neither. However, Yoga and vegan are not the same but you liken them to doing the same thing which again they very well may be I don't know them, and as such must concied that Golden Lotus Kung-Fu may be just another way to do what the both of them do.
    He Ping

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 1:53am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lotusmaster was asked to create this thread, which he did with this post.

I culled a few other relevant posts from here:
    Styles, Claims and Principles - No BS Martial Arts

I would be improper to speak on Yoga or Veganism because I am trained in neither. However, Yoga and vegan are not the same but you liken them to doing the same thing which again they very well may be I don't know them, and as such must concied that Golden Lotus Kung-Fu may be just another way to do what the both of them do.
    While it may be improper for you to speak of the specifics of yoga or veganism, I think it would not be unreasonable to suggest neither involves commonly recognized forms of H2H fighting. So, unless 'Golden Lotus Kung-Fu' does not fight at all, why are you marginalizing the very essence of what is a martial art over other endeavours such as interpretive dance?
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 8/17/2008 2:14am at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Into this thread, I two posts from here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50821

While it may be improper for you to speak of the specifics of yoga or veganism, I think it would not be unreasonable to suggest neither involves commonly recognized forms of H2H fighting. So, unless 'Golden Lotus Kung-Fu' does not fight at all, why are you marginalizing the very essence of what is a martial art over other endeavours such as interpretive dance?
    Perhaps it's just a diference in the way we where taught. I was taught that "martial arts" or Wushu (武術) the character wu 武 means military yes. However upon closer inspection the base caracter (止) is four strokes that means warlike the additional 4 strokes mean cease or end. So in the way I was taught our "Martial art" means the art of ending warlike behavior.
    He Ping

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:27am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before we play a fun round of online 'catch jab', I would like to say right off the bat that, assuming no hidden fees, your pricing of $60/month five days per week is more than reasonable.

I think it might be 5 classes per week, each different program is priced seperately.

What I'm wondering is why a self-defense program is seperate (and more expensive) from the kung fu program. Can't you defend yourself with your kung fu?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:34am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You wouldn't happen to have any video of your forms, drills, or sparring would you?
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast