Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 2:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"ATT became a McDonalds"

http://www.tatame.com/2008/08/16/Ben...me-a-McDonalds

Does anybody remember the thread on bullshido about this? At least one person at ATT agrees with some of the posters from that thread, apparently.

Benkei: “ATT became a McDonald’s”
    By Guilherme Cruz
    Photo Marcelo Alonso

Responsible for the physical preparation at American Top Team, André Benkei called TATAME to announce his leaving from the team. One of the biggest names of the world on the physical preparation at MMA, Benkei is responsible for the preparation of all ATT athletes, but now leaves the team. “I left the team because of some idealogical disagreements with the ATT headcoach, Ricardo Libório. I had no trouble with the Dan Lambert or Conan Silveira”, said Benkei, taht will continue working on some ATT athlete’s preparation.

“The main athletes of the team will continue working with me as a freelancer at Prime Time, but now I’m free to work with any athlete of different teams. I don’t fight for a team now, but Thiago Alves, Antônio “Bigfoot”, Thiago Silva, Gesias Cavalcante and Marcus Aurélio confirmed that they’ll continue with me. ATT will continue its life witha new guy and Liborio’s way of working”, told Benkei to TATAME, explaining other whys for his left.

“I’m leaving to fight for better conditions to train my athletes, because I don’t agree with what ATT is doing with its name, selling our work for persons that takes on advantage our name and never went to ATT, owners of karate gyms, that simply does a seminary and now has a right to teach MMA with ATT’s name. Liborio made our brothership dream and hard work in a big McDonald’s. I’m definately out of ATT”. To know more about the changing at ATT, stay tuned on TATAME.com.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :sad7:

I don't agree with the affiliate program myself, but this makes me sad.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without re-reading the thread, wasn't the general concern that the ATT 'brand' would be diluted by people confusing certification with affiliation?

Does this ATT guy leaving the 'team' add credence to that concern, or is it someone looking for pastures new, and is announcing it to the world?

Interesting to say the least.

EDIT: Most recent (and combustible) thread on the ATT Cert subject
    American Top Team, Say It Ain't So! - No BS Martial Arts
    Last edited by sochin101; 8/16/2008 3:37pm at .
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn the ATT and their seminarys!

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Without re-reading the thread, wasn't the general concern that the ATT 'brand' would be diluted by people confusing certification with affiliation?

Does this ATT guy leaving the 'team' add credence to that concern, or is it someone looking for pastures new, and is announcing it to the world?

I initally read this as Benkei was pissed that Liborio sold what Benkei's intellectual property and didn't get his cut.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    I initally read this as Benkei was pissed that Liborio sold what Benkei's intellectual property and didn't get his cut.
    So, you think they're teaching his elite athlete preparation secrets at the week long ATT certification seminar thing?
    I'm not sure they'd be much good to fat wheezy TKD instructors...
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

EDIT: Most recent (and combustible) thread on the ATT Cert subject
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66023
    I'm not sure if one guy leaving dilutes the brand. But when I read it I thought it sounded like we was upset that he felt the brand was being diluted.

Some people may read it differently. Like Snake. :happy9:
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    I'm not sure if one guy leaving dilutes the brand. But when I read it I thought it sounded like we was upset that he felt the brand was being diluted.
    yeah, I read it as someone on the inside (rather than two red-necks from missysippy) thought it was diluting the brand, like you.

Some people may read it differently. Like Snake. :happy9:
    Snake probably just looked at the pictures...

Gandhi

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

response. added.

So, you think they're teaching his elite athlete preparation secrets at the week long ATT certification seminar thing?
    I'm not sure they'd be much good to fat wheezy TKD instructors...
    Well I am sure he devised some unique training models for the fight team and I will presume that the ATT Level 1 MMA Certification program utilizes some of these models in their seminar and are taught with the expectation and understanding that the "karate gyms owners" will be teaching them to their students.

++++++edit++++++++

But it *isn't* diluting the brand because the top fighters are still training with him.....they are just paying his seperate company to train with him as opposed to it coming under the ATT umbrella.

The main athletes of the team will continue working with me as a freelancer at Prime Time
    hence why I read it as "I wanna get paid"
    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 8/16/2008 3:47pm at .

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    Well I am sure he devised some unique training models for the fight team and I will presume that the ATT Level 1 MMA Certification program utilizes some of these models in their seminar and are taught with the expectation and understanding that the "karate gyms owners" will be teaching them to their students.
    I can't imagine that methods appropriate for full-time professional MMA fighters would mesh with workaday stripmall generic krotty, but I do see your point.

I still think that (while I'm sure André Benkei's intentions are honourable and his integrity has made him take this course of action) it's a decent bit of publicity for someone who is probably looking for fighters to work with...

But, then, I'm a cynical bastard at best.

Gandhi

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast