Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 2:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ - Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How is my current workout routine?

Hey I was just wanting to see what you ppl think about my current workout routine..
    I work full time during the day so all workouts except saturday or sun. are evenings
    and im trying to train for mma I am 21 yrs old 5'10 166 lbs average. I have been doin this workout about 2 months now steady. Here soon in the next month im taking up a mui thai class and a mma class. oh i also eat as much protein as i can and i take 100% whey protein (i probably take at least 60 grams of the whey mix a day...sometimes more.)

day 1
    stretching
    Squat thrusts to military press with dumbells 3 sets of 9
    Deadlifts with bent over rows together with dumbells 3 sets of 12 on rows and 25 on deadlift
    Lunges with hammer curl holding dumbells 3 sets of 10
    Standing butterflies with dumbells 3 sets of 10
    core bridges- front 60 sec left side 40 sec right side 40 sec
    crunches- straight left and right crunches
    6 inches- 3 sets of minute holds
    then 20-30 mins of heavy bag training

day 2
    streching
    3 circuits consisting of:
    Dumbell Deadlift 20 reps
    Dumbell bench press 25 reps
    Negative sit up with dumbell 20 reps
    Trap lifts w/ dumbells 3 sets of 30
    Calf raises w/dumbells 3 sets of 30
    Dumbell bench flys 3 sets of 12
    Bicep Curls 3 sets of 12
    20-30 mins of heavy bag training

day 3
    stretching
    Wide grip pull ups 3 sets of 8-10
    Underhand pull ups 3 sets of 7-9
    Tricep extension w/ dumbells 3 sets of 7-8
    Reverse push up 3 sets of 15-20
    Wrist and forearm blaster wit 10 lbs 3 sets of 4 rolls
    3 sets of 20 with ab roller
    20-30 mins of heavy bag training

i also try to play some intense basketball once a week just for fun and good cardio

I would apprectiate some advice on improving my workout for mma or improving my diet so i can gain wait

*Additional Info 1* - My bag workout consists of working first on technique of boxing, also kicking, elbows and knees with small bag gloves, then on to more power punching kicking and clinching to knees and elbows with 14 ounce boxing gloves, then the same with the small bag gloves, I try to do like 5 min intervals on the bag with jump roping in between.
    Last edited by jheers11; 8/17/2008 7:21am at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why all dumbbell, no barbell work?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 4:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh that is just what i own... if i was in a gym or owned a barbell i would use it....would you strongly suggest getting one?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 7:15pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd figure dumbells would be fine. The effort to stabilize should be good for gains.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 7:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes that is exactly what i read up on why it is good to use dumbells. It helps build individual strength in each arm. I do like the idea of that. Am i training too much for my protein intake? I figured i was doing ok working out 6 days a week since im training for mma. Can you even really over train for mma when you work full-time? Seeing as how there is not a whole lot of time for training anyways. I know i need rest days but I just feel like im slacking if i take a rest day. Anyways still plz comment on my workout if it is a good mma workout and if there is anything i should add to it. Thx

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 7:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i recommend you use a barbell, using dumbells is just not the same. and also it could result in one arm being bigger u dont want that.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This topic is making me cry.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jheers11, have you read the sticky thread? Have you used the search function?

And what do you mean that you are trying to train for mma? Are you training with a MMA coach in a MMA gym?

If not, desist from this stupidity and enroll in a MMA gym already. Nothing on that workout program is helping you for MMA at all.

Go read the sticky thread and see the section weight/strenght training. There, there is a lot of material on strenght trainings, specially for combat sports. Also, read the section on nutrition.

Once you have completed all that reading (no exceptions), then feel free to come back and ask questions.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 8/17/2008 11:03am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 7:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey teh el macho thanks...you kinda helped me realize that yeah. my workout might be conditioning me somewhat...but i need to get my ass to mma class if i really wanna do it. I had my first class today it was great. Just thought i would mention that...thanks

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 10:08pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris