Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 8:58pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USJA Japanese Jujitsu curriculum

Hey guys,

One of the Judo clubs I practice at also mixes in the USJA's Jujitsu curriculum. I just tested for gokyu in it the other day and wanted to seek some opinions on the matter.

For those not familiar with the USJA's Jujitsu program it certainly doesn't claim to be koryu, nor is it intended to be comprehensive. Its more of an add on to the USJA Judo curriculum and includes various grip breaks, escapes from head & body locks, and other modern day situations one might be faced with for self-defense purposes.

Its 100% free (as in beer!) along with the Judo, which is also free, so I'm not worried about wasting money on it and learning the additional waza seems to only take a little extra time because it assumes you know at least some Judo. I'm not worried about being swayed for or against it, nor am I worried about it being teh d34dly. Just looking for some good, honest opinions on what the USJA considers Jujitsu to be. Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 9:35pm

Style: kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ed Tibidou from Little Rock is 6th dan USJA jujutsu, his club is Arkansas Goshinjutsu and they practice out of Champion Martial Arts, he would be able anser all your questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 3:46am

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkjudo
    Ed Tibidou from Little Rock is 6th dan USJA jujutsu, his club is Arkansas Goshinjutsu and they practice out of Champion Martial Arts, he would be able anser all your questions.
    Ok thanks - I may try and drop by his place when I'm passing through Little Rock someday. I'm sure he is much well versed in USJA JJ than what we're doing since it occupies just a small chunk of the time.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 4:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been 3 years since you wrote but I think I can help you out. I have extensive experience with the USJA jujitsu curriculum.

The techniques are comprised of self defense movements from a number of styles. The techniques are basic and require additional knowledge of the instructor to make this a "complete" art. None the less, they are quite effective. If I'm ever teaching a seminar I can pull a big guy out of the crowd and they work. Most instructors travel with their own students to help them "teach" but really the students are just trained to be good victims in many arts and fall down when their teacher touches them. These will work under full resistance. I didn't like the system at first, thought it was too basic/simplistic. But when a wise guy wants to make you look bad during a class, these techniques will work for you.

The techniques of the USJA system only range to the Shodan level. My instructor submited techniques for consideration for promotion to the 9th dan level to make this a complete art (when Phil Porter left to create the USMAA). We are currently using this "system" at my school with Judo curriculum as well.
    The techniques themselves are found in the self defense curriculums of many styles, so they are not just something that was "made up." The same techniques appear in many styles for a reason, they are effective. If you have questions or need more info let me know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 8:20am

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineMathMan View Post
    Been 3 years since you wrote but I think I can help you out. I have extensive experience with the USJA jujitsu curriculum.
    Can I call him a throbber in this forum?