Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Got an e-mail from my old instructor

Well a few days ago I got an e-mail from my old trainer:

Subject:New training possibilities!

From Instructor a
    To: all who have quit the club

Blahblahblah, you can now train kickboxing with us, blahblahblah.
    My first reaction was "WTF", my second was "OMGWTF" and the third was " OMGWTFBBQ".
    First let me tell you a little about my old instructors:

Instructor a: Third dan, over 35 but flexible. Has trained one or two years in Taido too. He's mostly the tricker.
    Instructor b: Second dan, she's the main poomsae instructor, kid instructor and leader of the new "fitness" program that started after I left. It's like taebo I expect
    Instructor c: First dan, oldest, and all round bad ( as in Micheal Jackson's Bad). He's nice, he's incredibly strong, kicks fast and is the one who gives you fun fun but hard exercises..
    Instructor d: When I met him, he hadn't trained in a long time, but he had scored high on a scandinavic championship, so he was our sparring trainer. Redbelt.

All of these people are BUSY people, so I wonder how they became qualified to train kickboxing. The nearest PROPER kickboxing club is in another town, and they train as the sime time as them.

My fear is that they don't see kickboxing as a martial art. They see kickboxing as a ruleset, and they're just going to train taekwondo, but adjusted to kickboxing rules. And you know what that means? SPINNING JUMP KICKS!
    The bullshido guy in town does the same thing, but only with less experience in taekwondo. Oh yes, our organization has ties to a few of the countries best kickboxers, but I don't think a few courses is enough make one a kickboxing instructor!

So my question: Is my old club going McDojang?!

I think what they do is taekwondo trained to work with kickboxing, BUT kickboxing has it's own system, doesn't it? So in a fact, they're advertising for something they're not qualified for!! But as I said, I think they've misunderstood the meaning of kickboxing and doing this with good with intentions... So I don't know what to think about them! Any thoughts?

Note: One doesn't have to pay additional fees to train in the kickboxing classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 9:52am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You would have to ask them. I don't know how long you've been out of contact with them, but if you're interested you could ask them about their view of what kickboxing is (to address your "ruleset vs. system" concerns) and what training, experience and qualifications the instructor has. I'm guessing that if they recruited an "Instructor E" that has a fight record and knows kickboxing, it would have been on their email.

We also do not know what claims your old club is making. If they are doing Billy Blanks-style cardio kickboxing for health and offering it as a free value-added service for their members, that is OK as we can take it or leave it. As you have explicitly described, "blahblahblah" tells us nothing about whether they are or are not offering something for which they are not qualified.

Just my two cents worth. Have a good one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJ
    You would have to ask them. I don't know how long you've been out of contact with them, but if you're interested you could ask them about their view of what kickboxing is (to address your "ruleset vs. system" concerns) and what training, experience and qualifications the instructor has. I'm guessing that if they recruited an "Instructor E" that has a fight record and knows kickboxing, it would have been on their email.

We also do not know what claims your old club is making. If they are doing Billy Blanks-style cardio kickboxing for health and offering it as a free value-added service for their members, that is OK as we can take it or leave it. As you have explicitly described, "blahblahblah" tells us nothing about whether they are or are not offering something for which they are not qualified.

Just my two cents worth. Have a good one.
    The blahblah consists of:
    Hello!
    We have now added kickboxing to our class schedule! At first we're gonna test it out untill december to see if we get enough interested parties. There is no additional fee, and it will have no effect on you curicullum for your next belt. You can meet up in either your dobok, or kickboxing pants + t-shirts.
    They've been talking a bit about this before I left too.

I left.....4-5 months ago I think, and no, no new trainers. And the taebo and the kickboxing are different classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, OK. I'm guessing from your post that there are very few choices for martial arts training in your community available to you at this time.

Not sure if you've found somewhere else to train and you're just curious about your old school; or if you're considering returning if their new kickboxing class plus TKD meets your needs. If it were me in the former case I wouldn't really care what they did; if I was considering a return to them, then a call and visit would be in order.

Your instincts are probably right. Even if someone has natural talent and trains hard for five months, they are a few years training (not to mention fighting & competing) away from a level I would expect from an instructor. It is good that their organization has links to your country's best kickboxers but whether that translates to better quality of instruction is another matter.

Either way, you'll have to see for yourself if you want to find out. Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, and I'm only curious. I'm part of a club that teaches kickboxing and submission wrestling, but I've been too busy for kickboxing till now, and I love the club.

And you're right about limited choices, we have:

- Karate wadoryu
    - My old TKD club. It was ok, but the instructors and people became too irritating for me ( No BS Martial Arts - View Single Post - Why do you no longer train TKD?)
    - Some taekwondo club hidden at the docks or something, no idea
    - The bullshido center, guy who "teaches" Muay thai, TKD, Hapkido, kickboxing and weapons... I've been trying to get info on him for a while.
    - Taiji club at a university, open for all. Genuine, but we do kid around A LOT. ( I once got a shoe thrown at my head during training while doing light contact with my instructor and a hung gar chick....)
    - Taiji club at the music school...Dunno about them, but I've heard they're very into chi....

But a friend of mine is going to open a Doce Pares club here in a few years though....

Ah well, I won't even bother messaging the instructor back. I'm 99% sure they're training taekwondo for kickboxing rules...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 2:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK from your link I now see why you've started training elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned, if the instructors choose to act like fuckheaded necrophiles then to me it is really irrelevant how well they know their stuff. I wouldn't buy anything from anybody who behaved like that.

Perhaps if their non-favourite students continuously leave they'll get the hint. Or not.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new club and submission wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 2:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, oh and a thing I forgot to mention:
    Kickboxing has a 15 year old age limit.... When I read that I remember ATA MMA, where only black belts ages 15+++ were allowed...

I can understand MMA having an age limit some places, but kickboxing? There are dozens of kid kickboxers. If you're a TKD instructor qualified to teach kids, and now mysteriously teach kickboxing, then they should have no problem with kickboxing kids classes!!!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodland
    Ah well, I won't even bother messaging the instructor back. I'm 99% sure they're training taekwondo for kickboxing rules...
    That would be my guess too. Kickboxing is a generic enough name (unlike Muay Thai, Savate, etc.) that they should have some flexibility regarding what they can teach and still call kickboxing.

Get rid of the dobok, get rid of any self-defense scenarios, get rid of hyung/poomse, etc.

If you're vague enough with your definitions any TKD instructor could teach kickboxing right? :idea1:

poser

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 11:47pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds exactly like my old school. It's not automatically a McDojang because they have a kickboxing program, but it certainly doesn't help.

Kickboxing at TKD schools seems to be more of a "cardio kickbox" program, as opposed to the motivational inner-strength kind of martial arts they do in the main program, making them relatively intense, hence the age limit. "Relative" being the operative word here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 3:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kanegs
    That would be my guess too. Kickboxing is a generic enough name (unlike Muay Thai, Savate, etc.) that they should have some flexibility regarding what they can teach and still call kickboxing.

Get rid of the dobok, get rid of any self-defense scenarios, get rid of hyung/poomse, etc.

If you're vague enough with your definitions any TKD instructor could teach kickboxing right? :idea1:
    Oh yeah, if one is vague enough, they could teach kickboxing, but that doesn't mean I like it!...
    A question: Do kickboxing clubs have belts in other countries? I've met a few instructors, and they wear black belts....

Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    This sounds exactly like my old school. It's not automatically a McDojang because they have a kickboxing program, but it certainly doesn't help.

Kickboxing at TKD schools seems to be more of a "cardio kickbox" program, as opposed to the motivational inner-strength kind of martial arts they do in the main program, making them relatively intense, hence the age limit. "Relative" being the operative word here.
    No, it's not cardio kickboxing. For that they have their own program....This is kickboxing where you fight and all that...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast