Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 8:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, Sambo, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NYC Grappling or MMA Club?

I used to train at Freestyle Fighting Academy in Miami, FL (great gym, btw). I was in their advanced classes but I'd consider myself a solid intermediate-level grappler. I loved FFA, but then I went off to Virginia for law school. With no reputable MMA gym for several hours in any direction, I managed to put together and run a small but hardcore MMA club that trained for two hour sessions three times a week. Our conditioning was great, and I definitely improved at everything I already knew, but since I was the most knowledgeable member, I wasn't challenged much and don't feel that I greatly improved as an overall fighter.

Three years later, I finished law school and moved to NYC. I'm in Greenpoint/Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I just took the NY State bar but will be waiting until November or so to find out if I passed; in the interim, I don't have a job and it will be hard to get one without already being licensed to practice law.

So, basically, I can't afford to train at a gym here and probably won't for a few months. And of course my apartment is too small to put my mats down and set up a training area. Thus, I've hardly rolled all summer and it's driving me insane!

Is there anyone else in the NYC area (ideally Manhattan or NW Brooklyn) who wants to train a few times a week? If we get enough people together, I'd be totally willing to pitch in on equipment and/or rent out training space, and I already have some equipment that I can donate to the cause, but right now I just want to know if anyone is interested.

I can set up a top-level conditioning program and I don't at all mind teaching lower-level students but I'd also really like to roll with people who are better than me so I can improve instead of just maintaining (like I have been). I'm primarily a submission grappler but I'm open to other arts as well and would enthusiastically welcome Greco-Roman wrestlers, Sambo guys, etc.

Anyone down?
    Last edited by Skiritai; 8/14/2008 8:29pm at .

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiritai
    I used to train at Freestyle Fighting Academy in Miami, FL (great gym, btw). I was in their advanced classes but I'd consider myself a solid intermediate-level grappler. I loved FFA, but then I went off to Virginia for law school. With no reputable MMA gym for several hours in any direction, I managed to put together and run a small but hardcore MMA club that trained for two hour sessions three times a week. Our conditioning was great, and I definitely improved at everything I already knew, but since I was the most knowledgeable member, I wasn't challenged much and don't feel that I greatly improved as an overall fighter.

Three years later, I finished law school and moved to NYC. I'm in Greenpoint/Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I just took the NY State bar but will be waiting until November or so to find out if I passed; in the interim, I don't have a job and it will be hard to get one without already being licensed to practice law.

So, basically, I can't afford to train at a gym here and probably won't for a few months. And of course my apartment is too small to put my mats down and set up a training area. Thus, I've hardly rolled all summer and it's driving me insane!

Is there anyone else in the NYC area (ideally Manhattan or NW Brooklyn) who wants to train a few times a week? If we get enough people together, I'd be totally willing to pitch in on equipment and/or rent out training space, and I already have some equipment that I can donate to the cause, but right now I just want to know if anyone is interested.

I can set up a top-level conditioning program and I don't at all mind teaching lower-level students but I'd also really like to roll with people who are better than me so I can improve instead of just maintaining (like I have been). I'm primarily a submission grappler but I'm open to other arts as well and would enthusiastically welcome Greco-Roman wrestlers, Sambo guys, etc.

Anyone down?
    What are you hours like? I'm willing to meet at McCarren Park (near the track) and work some drills. But I work at night so for the time being, meeting the the morning before noon would be best.

I'd call myself a beginning level grappler and an intermediate striker. I've got my own gear and whatnot. I currently train at Alliance BJJ under Fabio Clemente. Before that at AFS in New Jersey. But because of my schedule I'd welcome another two or so days a week to roll and work stand-up.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 8:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McCarren would be perfect. I'm actually about to go running there now. My hours are open (like I said, no job, heh) so 9am or later would work. Let's see who else replies before we nail down a schedule.

Who else is down?

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiritai
    McCarren would be perfect. I'm actually about to go running there now. My hours are open (like I said, no job, heh) so 9am or later would work. Let's see who else replies before we nail down a schedule.

Who else is down?

I'm gonna be running and working out there tomorrow at 11am anyway. So if you're down we could meet then.

I've missed class all this week for work.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That works. For whatever reason, I'm unable to PM you, so shoot me an email at mail@davidjamesknight.com and let me know what you want to do/what to bring.

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 10:04pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'd actually be down for this... but as i don't go out to brooklyn, how the hell do i get to mccarren?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 10:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McCarren is one stop from Manhattan. From lower Manhattan, take the L to Bedford and head north on Bedford Ave (it's about a 5 minute walk). From Midtown or higher, it's 3 stops; take the E to Ely St and transfer to the southbound G, then get off at Nassau (McCarren is just south of the station).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 4:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great training today. Vin, hope to see you out there soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 3:44pm

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I just saw this. Are you guys training again? Iz ok I have no bjj experience? I have some HS wrestling from way back.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 4:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure. We'll be at the track at 10am tomorrow (Wed, 8/19). Hydrate!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast