Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To say its stupid to teach very new guys leglocks is- in my very newb-opinion, quite stupid in and of itself. Teaching ONLY leglocks would be foolish, just like teaching ONLY chokes, or armbars would be.

But the first two submissions I learned to do were a rear naked choke, and a straight ankle lock (admittedly, because I used to watch a lot of WWF). If a student does 'nothing but hunt for leglocks because you see them as something that you can catch anyone with, even someone technically better, you stunt your own positional jiu jitsu growth' then its a flaw of the student's, not of the system.

Of course you have 'BJJ' listed in your Style window, and I have 'Sambo' in mine, so that might have something to do with it. >_>
    Last edited by laevus; 8/18/2008 11:26pm at .

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 1:16am

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leglocks are IMO cool to teach to beginners. I was taught them early on: straight ankle, calf crusher, achilles crush, outside toehold, kneebar (didn't get taught heelhooks, inside toeholds, or knee separators till later). The importance of positional work was reinforced the whole time though: use the kneebar as a sweep or reversal from turtle. Use the threat of the straight anklelock to pass the guard. Banana split as a pass/submission.

Just make it clear that they aren't wise to focus on *over* positional work. Preferably make it clear by matching them against someone who can defend against leglock attempts and punish them for going for them by gaining dominant positioning out of it until they understand the risks as well as the rewards.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 1:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    Leglocks are IMO cool to teach to beginners. I was taught them early on: straight ankle, calf crusher, achilles crush, outside toehold, kneebar (didn't get taught heelhooks, inside toeholds, or knee separators till later). The importance of positional work was reinforced the whole time though: use the kneebar as a sweep or reversal from turtle. Use the threat of the straight anklelock to pass the guard. Banana split as a pass/submission.
    This is exactly why white belts shoudn't learn leg locks.

Just make it clear that they aren't wise to focus on *over* positional work. Preferably make it clear by matching them against someone who can defend against leglock attempts and punish them for going for them by gaining dominant positioning out of it until they understand the risks as well as the rewards.
    You might be more disciplined, but retards I roll with aren't, and when they get tired of trying to pass, they go for leg locks and end up getting tapped.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 1:50am

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    This is exactly why white belts shoudn't learn leg locks.
    What? Explain.

They're going to have to deal with these exact situations in NAGA and in gi purple+, and they follow the position > submission doctrine.

You might be more disciplined, but retards I roll with aren't, and when they get tired of trying to pass, they go for leg locks and end up getting tapped.
    And eventually they'll get tired of getting tapped and will realize passing works better.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234