Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Single leg-legbar transition (white belt)

Hey guys,

At our upcoming national tournament (ie: our BJJ association), word is that straight legbars will be legal in adult white belt. In preparation, our coach taught us the step-through legbar from an opponent's open/spider guard, and an escape for that legbar. He also recommended we try and develop a couple of transitions from a takedown straight into a submission. I currently have a hip throw to step-over armbar.

Anyway, it occurred to me that if you go for a single - I'm considering in particular the low single/ankle shoot, in which I've always been taught to keep a hold of the guy's leg and hoist it up high - continue your forward momentum and stack the guy, you could step through and legbar. I didn't get a chance to try this at last night's class, and our regular coach had to leave early, so a purple belt took most of the rest of the class, and afterward, I asked him about it, and he gave me the standard answer about white belts needing to forget about legbars and just pass the guard. While I certainly don't disagree with him as a general rule of thumb, this seems like a reasonable takedown-sub transition. It's not something I'd look for if the guy had decent control of me in his guard, ie: not straight from a takedown.

So, my question is two-fold: Is this a transition that you guys think could work, and is it something you think a white belt should be looking for? I'll still be a white belt til probably around mid-09 I would say - I'm not a "nearly-blue", but not a total noob either.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gzk
    Hey guys,

At our upcoming national tournament (ie: our BJJ association), word is that straight legbars will be legal in adult white belt. In preparation, our coach taught us the step-through legbar from an opponent's open/spider guard, and an escape for that legbar. He also recommended we try and develop a couple of transitions from a takedown straight into a submission. I currently have a hip throw to step-over armbar.

Anyway, it occurred to me that if you go for a single - I'm considering in particular the low single/ankle shoot, in which I've always been taught to keep a hold of the guy's leg and hoist it up high - continue your forward momentum and stack the guy, you could step through and legbar. I didn't get a chance to try this at last night's class, and our regular coach had to leave early, so a purple belt took most of the rest of the class, and afterward, I asked him about it, and he gave me the standard answer about white belts needing to forget about legbars and just pass the guard. While I certainly don't disagree with him as a general rule of thumb, this seems like a reasonable takedown-sub transition. It's not something I'd look for if the guy had decent control of me in his guard, ie: not straight from a takedown.

So, my question is two-fold: Is this a transition that you guys think could work, and is it something you think a white belt should be looking for? I'll still be a white belt til probably around mid-09 I would say - I'm not a "nearly-blue", but not a total noob either.
    In theory this could work, but it's too obvious and easy to counter IMO. Chances are what will happen is the person you took down will take your back, scramble into guard/half, or sweep you.

You probably should work more on keeping in a dominant position, but play with legbars in your free rolling, just so you can get a feel for them.

Good luck

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 4:39pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Work the flower sweep/armbar to kneebar if they stand from full guard. BJJ people generally just don't see that coming after dealing for years with just the armbar/triangle etc. If it doesn't feel like you have total control of the leg as they topple, just turn into them and use it as a sweep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 5:42pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Position before submission. Your instructor showed you a kneebar in order to help you understand the escape, not because he wants you to give up your back attempting a low-percentage submission.

Listen to your instructors. The purple belts are purple belts for a reason.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 5:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is a legbar?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    What is a legbar?
    It's like a kneebar, only better.

Funny I didn't even really notice that till you pointed it out

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 7:05pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leg bar is like a kneebar but from the side.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 10:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any vids of this mysterious technique?
    Last edited by Kentucky Fried Chokin; 8/15/2008 10:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 10:35pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assumed the O.P. to be talking about a kneebar. I thought it was a bad translation to English by a foreigner or something.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 10:37pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure they call kneebars legbars in Australia

and butterfly guard = hooks guard there

and other strangeness
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast