Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually it is very hard to get the leg of an experienced player. If you miss you are almost always in a very bad place.

Shime waza (choking techniques) are actually very safe under the proper condiitons. The Kodokan did a large study (Dr. Kowai I Believe) and could only find one death from choking, and that was not in a Judo class or event. It was at a self-defence school.

Most places ban heel hooks simply because if the defender makes an error, and turns the wrong way, he can be injured very badly. The saying in Shingitai is "We all have to go to work on Monday."

The real key in any submission sport is that the opponent must be given the time and opportunity to submit. Its why we don't let you throw with a locked arm for one example.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baqi9
    I guess I'm missing something very important here....you'd think that bbj would allow the leg locks instead of the chokes since the gray matter needs the oxygen up there. Besides, it may be that it's just a new thing to me, but those leg locks in the video seem far easier to pull-off than a choke...and look better too. And yes I do understand that looks don't always mean squat, and things depend on opportunity.
    I have been choked out while rolling before. Choked out all the way. It was an accident and about 2 minutes after, I was rolling again. No big deal.

I saw a guy who got a heel hook tweaked a little bit too hard. He was using one of those leg splints for about a month with crutches. Now he uses a knee brace every time he rolls.

Also, collar chokes are a lot easier to pull off than leg locks are. Especially against someone who has been rolling for a while and defends good. I love using leg locks but I can only get them consistently on newer people.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 9:57am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chokes are much safer submissions than arms or legs.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 10:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Steve, did you ever find a new place for your school?

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he posted the information...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 12:46pm

Style: Capoeira, Sombo, BJJ, RVT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    feels unloved.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 4:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted a thread about it in the grappling forum...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 4:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about that. I will now do push-ups for sheer laziness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 10:13pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Understood guys...I guess after seeing one thing for so long it becomes boring when compared to the new (to my eyes) techniques. That vid really made ground stuff look exciting. Had me feeling like that kid who only had the eight pack of crayons and one day mom gave up the 64 pack (big smile).

Posted On:
    1/21/2013 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiss View Post
    Hmmm so in theory the Russian Judo team could really be all Sambo guys but just "playing by the rules" of Judo?
    Partially true - much of Russian Judo is Sambo in Judo rules even in some cases players themselves do not realize that.
    One important thing to mention - a classic myth is that Sambo is a "Russian adopted Judo". The fact is Sambo can be considered to be Judo is much lesser than, say, Georgian Chidaoba. Famous “Russian grips” came from this great Georgian wrestling system into Sambo and then from Sambo into Judo. Check yourself (just Google) how many gold medals last Olympics were won with Russian grips vs Japanese classic straight stance. Another system is Uzbek’s Kurash had a great influence on Sambo. Till now people from that region call Sambo a "Russian adopted Kurash". Doesn’t it sound similar to calling it Judo adaptation? Similarly many other systems influenced Sambo and could be called by their name + “Russian adopted”. All of them are integral parts and Sambo learned from all of them to become a very flexible system to create 2 world popular sports (Sport Sambo and Combat Sambo), and a few special application systems for police, army and special forces.
    Anyways, last Olympics show the difference between Russian sambo Judo style and Japanese straight stance - check out Olympic Judo results by country :) After that, an interesting exercise would be to add results from other former Soviet Union republics (same style). Also good to mention that by number of Judokas and a popularity of Judo Russia is considerably below than Japan. For those who understand statistics it means a lot.
    Don't get me wrong - I like Judo - the great Japanese martial art. It's just a common myth of Japan having a monopoly in martial arts, it's unreal "secrets" and an exaggerated push of outdated Japanese tradition into modern international sport - that's wrong IMHO. And it doesn't do a good job for Judo popularity in today's environment either.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast