Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 8:53am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SAMBO vs Judo

So what are the differences? Is SAMBO just judo - chokes + leg locks as it seems to be to me after reading some threads on this, or am I being a newb twat here and its much more complex?

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 9:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not a terrible start, but there's a lot more depth. Different strategies, training practices, funny shorts, and a prediliction for unorthodox grips.

I recommend looking for articles about the history of SAMBO. It's interesting how Olympic, Japanese-dominated judo was influenced by the influx of "Russian judo." Neil Adams talks about it in a few of his Masterclass books.

Also, SAMBOists often train and compete with strikes (not to the head when on the ground, I believe), in addition to funny shorts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 11:39am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What type of SAMBO are we talking about?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 11:42am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didnt know there was more than one Sambo. Heck I don't know anything about Sambo except that Fedor participates. Just out of curiosity, could a Sabo practitioner compete in the Olympics under the guise of beign a Judoka, or are they that different?

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 11:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2
    I recommend looking for articles about the history of SAMBO. It's interesting how Olympic, Japanese-dominated judo was influenced by the influx of "Russian judo." Neil Adams talks about it in a few of his Masterclass books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiss
    I didnt know there was more than one Sambo. Heck I don't know anything about Sambo except that Fedor participates. Just out of curiosity, could a Sabo practitioner compete in the Olympics under the guise of beign a Judoka, or are they that different?
    Omega, do you mean there are multiple SAMBOs orgs, lineages, or actual "styles"? Do you mean combat SAMBO vs. sport SAMBO? This I am ignorant on.

As for Olympics...see my previous post. The Russians invaded Olympic Judo in the eighties, and caused a number of rules changes, mostly about grips. No grabbing the ends of the sleeves, skirt, or pant leg for more than 3 seconds, or something like that. They popularized pickups as well, just by winning with them against Olympic judoka, in the Olympics. You can bet the Kodokan jumped up and attacked the IOC with rules changes after that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 11:57am

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiss
    "Sambo" is kind of a catch-all term in Russia for a lot of different things.

"Sport" Sambo is very similar to Judo. The throws are very similar. Chokes are out but leg locks are in. The last Judo tournament I was at here in San Diego had a Sambo school compete. Their style was different, they took a slightly more crouched-down stance similar to a wrestler. The head coach was an interesting, funny guy and they did very well.

There's also "Self-Defense" Sambo which has some stuff that looks kinda like Aikido

There's "Combat" Sambo which is basically MMA. Punching and kicking is allowed

"Special Sambo" developed for the military. It goes on.

Think of it like BJJ. It has its roots and many similarities to Judo but kind of split off and developed its own distinct philosophy and training method

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...except that when you say "bjj," people know exactly what you're talking about.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 12:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chicken beak basically answered the questions but you technically missed two.

Freestyle gi and no gi sambo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 12:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    ...except that when you say "bjj," people know exactly what you're talking about.
    Or at least they think they do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 12:11pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm so in theory the Russian Judo team could really be all Sambo guys but just "playing by the rules" of Judo?
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast