it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 2:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gi/No Gi Judo Question(s)

Is there any preferred order for those (like me) that would like to do both? Is having a solid no gi game an advantage when using a gi? How hard are the habits set up by gi judo to break for no gi?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJnoob,kickboxing(hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if you have any grappling base, but speaking from personal experience, it really wasn't that hard to transition from gi to no gi. (I had no grappling experience what so ever before I started studying Judo) Really, its just about adapting the grips on the body instead of the gi. You'll have to think a little differently to set up throws, but it's not so difficult.

A very big difference I've certainly noticed is that grip fighting tends to be a lot quicker without a gi, that and you have a little less variations with throws. There's definitely some cross over into wrestling when doing no gi judo especially with grips. Also no gi randori is a bit closer up since you're grabbing each other as oppose to sleeves/lapels.

As far as ground work what I said above applies too; a few less things to grab on to, distance is a little closer, no gi chokes (obviously). You're also both a bit more slippery because of the sweat.

I don't really think you'd build many bad habits learning to grapple in a gi. And if you do, you'll adapt fairly easily. What I had trouble with was staying a bit too upright and getting ankle picked/dbl legged since i was use to people trying to throw me instead of using traditional wrestling take downs.

Learning to grapple with the gi will certainly help your overall grappling. You'll just need to change/modify certain techniques to make them work no-gi.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 4:40am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestlers (no gi) seem to transition well to Judo (gi), so the transition isn't that hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 8:04am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's much easier to go from gi to no gi than vice versa. if you have the option, start in the gi.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 10:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all very much.

And for the record, as that style field might lead you to believe, I have no grappling training. I know a bit about it, being a fan of the stuff, and can put it to use when wrestling around with my friends (who don't know quite as much; one guy didn't even think the triangle would actually choke him until I put pressure on it).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 10:51am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing no-gi all summer at a BJJ school. It hasn't been too much of an adjustment for me, but I've been doing Judo for a while. I don't know how a Judo novice would fair if they aren't already comfortable throwing with a gi. It's be like putting a gi on a wrestler and all of a sudden he has to contend with somebody using handles and different grips on him.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 2:06pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any body grip that you can do no-gi, you can do with a gi. Gi grips cannot be practiced no-gi obviously. Gi training incorporates grips based off of cloth, but also all the standard body grips that wrestlers us. You may not choose to use them as much, but they are legitimate options.

Even though I train with gi predominantly, I greatly prefer tight body grips over more extended gi-gripping range. It's just personal preference but I've found that when I do go no-gi, it's a very easy transition, and can usually hang with wrestlers of similar experience.

Just watch out for good wrestlers' shoots. Without handles to slow them down they can get in on you very quickly, so you need to be much quicker with your sprawl. (Or just stick them with a whizzer Uchimata.)

In general, no-gi is a little bit faster of a game as everyone are so slippery. Greater athleticism can help a lot. With gi, athleticism is good but there's a bit more emphasis on technique as it's tougher to just out-quick someone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:30pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whizzer Uchimata? That sounds useful. Could you explain it, please?

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might be way off, but I think it's a play off of "wizard", implying that pulling it off is magic, or needs some magic for it to happen.

But I could be way off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 4:14pm

Style: Judo/BJJ/couple months MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    Whizzer Uchimata? That sounds useful. Could you explain it, please?
    A whizzer grip is like a very strong overhook, with your fist shoved up past their armpit. A lot of people like doing uchi mata off of it, because you can put a ton of twist into the throw. I also like doing tai otoshi or a sideways harai with it, especially off of the uchi mata.
    Also, the whizzer uchimata is a great counter to a single leg or duck under. Hold the arm, and when they go for it wrap your arm around theirs and twist into the uchimata.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast