Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo :(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is such prominence and importance, in terms of scoring, put on uke landing on their back rather than their front/head? Is this because the majority of judo throws, when used correctly by tori, should result in uke landing on his back? Or is there another reason behind this.

(I know very little about judo)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 5:11pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfatnerd
    Why is such prominence and importance, in terms of scoring, put on uke landing on their back rather than their front/head? Is this because the majority of judo throws, when used correctly by tori, should result in uke landing on his back? Or is there another reason behind this.

(I know very little about judo)
    Sport Judo is designed to be relatively safe. Landing on your back is safer than landing on your head, especially if you know how to breakfall properly.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 5:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo :(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting how the rules have thus worked in the opposite way they were intended, with people seeking to land on their heads rather than use the safe ukemi, just to avoid the ippon.

Would any judokas here prefer points to be allocated on whether or not the opponent is thrown, rather than the emphasis being on how they land?

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 5:28pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfatnerd
    Interesting how the rules have thus worked in the opposite way they were intended, with people seeking to land on their heads rather than use the safe ukemi, just to avoid the ippon.

Would any judokas here prefer points to be allocated on whether or not the opponent is thrown, rather than the emphasis being on how they land?
    For my entirely subjective aesthetic purposes, I would prefer that they were scored on landing a hard throw into a dominant position. Say 3 points to win, 1 pt each for the takedown, amplitude above the waist, and landing in side control or better.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 5:30pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it is kind of funny. Many older Jujutsu systems that emphasize throws seek to spike the person on their head. I'm assuming that in Judo, the rules dictate to throw people on their backs to be safe, since you can simply cut a lot of throws short to spike folks on their heads and hurt them if you had wanted to. That Judo competitors intentionally land on their heads to avoid being ipponed seems to be bringing things back full-circle.

You have to wonder that if a player was facing an opponent known for head-diving, might they just say "**** it" and intentionally spike the person on their head to force and injury withdrawl? I mean if a player was notorious for head-diving anyway, I doubt the judges would be likely to call a foul against the thrower.

Regarding follow up to a throw, I personally like SAMBO rules where to score ippon, you must remain standing with control. Throwing and over-rolling to a shitty position doesn't help you much, and you will be scored accordingly.
    Last edited by Ryno; 8/13/2008 5:34pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 5:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is a problem with the sports psyche, if you were learning Judo for self protection you would not want to land on your head!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 5:57pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ITRY
    if you were learning Judo for self protection you would not want to land on your head!
    Why thank you Captain Obvious for pointing that out. I don't think any of us realized that. :rolleyes:

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ITRY
    This is a question for the Judo guys and gals :new_evil:

I sometimes watch a Judo club that meets at the same location where my GF takes yoga. I wouldn't mind studying Judo but the hours don't fit with my schedule so I just watch the last ten minutes of their class. :love4:

Last week these higher students were randori and everyone was watching, you could hear a pin drop it was really gripping to watch. One got thrown by a ???hip throw??? and landed on his head somehow. His neck collapsed and I felt a gulp go down my throat becos it looked really nasty but somehow he was ok. Anyway this is what confused me:

The Judo guys were impressed that he had somehow avoided being thrown onto his back because that would have been an Ippon score.

So does judo teach you that it is better to land on your head than your back?
    This should be held up as an example of a well thought out question that makes a good thread. Good job.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 6:16pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Yeah, it is kind of funny. Many older Jujutsu systems that emphasize throws seek to spike the person on their head.
    We have throws like that in Hapkido.

The ironic thing is, since those throws end up with the person landing on their head, we only practice them by fitting in and not actually throwing all the way. (Unless you have a partner who's really good at rolling out of stuff at the last minute.)

Therefore, in a self-defense situation, I would be much more comfortable using Judo throws than Hapkido ones, because I've actually thrown people using Judo far more often.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 7:19pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many older Jujutsu systems that emphasize throws seek to spike the person on their head.
    Many, many throws in judo will result in uke landing on his head/neck should they not actively breakfall. If you've been thrown in a way that will cause injury should you not breakfall, then you've essentially been beaten. Isn't it then logical to accept defeat graciously and breakfall, whilst simultaneously safeguarding your health?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast