Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Antiquated

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 2:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pontoon
    I think this comes down to whether you'd rather lose by ippon or lose by breaking your neck. It's utterly stupid to risk serious injury just to prevent "losing" randori, let alone a competition.
    Depending on the enormity of the competition. For local tourneys competitors should certainly not care less. But for high calibur judoists fighting in the elite tournaments like the Olympics, it's perfectly understandable.

For randori, and low level tournaments, certainly it is not worth it. But if you put the sweat, blood, and tears into training for Olympic level play I can see not wanting to concede a single score.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 2:24am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For randori, and low level tournaments, certainly it is not worth it. But if you put the sweat, blood, and tears into training for Olympic level play I can see not wanting to concede a single score.
    I can totally understand that. I'm just peeved because i broke an arm trying to avoid a throw at a comp a few weeks ago. :new_puppy

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 2:41am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have more problems with the fact that the rules emphasize uke's landing position more than tori's. That is, as long as uke lands flat on his back, it doesn't seem to matter what tori does.
    I've seen a good number of Ippon's from rolling uchimata's and the like which, if not for the fact that tori got an Ippon and won the fight, would've resulted in him getting bridged over and quite likely pinned.
    It's probably just the BJJ player in me, but I object to people winning fights with throws that leave them in bad positions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:11am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It probably goes back to the assumption that for practical applications the throw would be performed on a hard surface. If tori falls with the throw it should be a controlled fall that would result in little damage to tori, but still result in uke taking a hard fall onto their back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 2:53pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Judo Instructor was talking about how he hurt his back pretty badly by bridging trying to avoid an ippon. For some reason it doesn't seem smart to me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At some tournies, purposely landing on your head (if you are the tori) can get you DQ-ed for the entire day. I am not sure why this would not apply to the uke.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:42pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One time when I was rolling in judo class, someone got me in a hip throw, but I rerolled him ending up on top. (You got to love wrestling). Anyway, I ended up on top of him in side control, but he said that he won via ippon because even though I ended up on top, my back still hit the ground first.

If he was correct about this, I can see a glaring problem with the ippon rule right there. Anyway, if anyone could clarify this for me that would be great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:50pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you landed on your back then he did 'win' via ippon. This is one of those situations were throwing with control should be more strictly defined for ippon.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rules are a little lax these days when it comes to ippon. I see it called when the thrown person's back hits the floor. There used to be a requirement about being controlled throughout and after the throw onto the back. It was still the ref and corner judges opinion but ippon was a little harder to get and wazari was more frequently given. (and then came Koga)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:56pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe AAU Judo rules state that even if the uke bridges to avoid his back touching the mat, the throw is still considered an ippon. (Assuming his back would have touched if he had not bridged.)
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast