Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 11:07am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon
    Obviously in UK, we won't be seeing Teddy but I have to say I'm somewhat ambivalent about Teddy. I keep remembering him Coaching Michael Moorer in a pro contest and Atlas telling him he was losing, assertively asked him (Moorer) did he want to go on (Rhetorical) and did he want him (Atlas) to take over?

As a motivational technique it was appalling. To my eyes, Moorer was winning every Round - and indeed won the fight. I rather thought his Ego got in front of him. To tell a fighter he's losing when he's winning every Round is a strange manner.

That said, that was then and this is now. Also, it's been some years since I saw him coach so perhaps he's got his Head screwed on a bit better.
    Hold up, his fighter won the fight and that makes him a bad coach? People respond to different motivators, maybe Moorer had a problem in latter rounds of a fight by getting too confident of his lead. You never know what is going on in the gym so all you can judge is the success of the coaches' fighters, i think your critisism is unfounded.

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 6:22am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    Hold up, his fighter won the fight and that makes him a bad coach? People respond to different motivators, maybe Moorer had a problem in latter rounds of a fight by getting too confident of his lead. You never know what is going on in the gym so all you can judge is the success of the coaches' fighters, i think your critisism is unfounded.
    Well, I said "that was then and this is now" and it was some time ago. Additionally, Moorer was quoted when a LH in "KO" mag about how he craved violence. Interestingly, at that time, Emmanuel Steward stated that Moorer was the one fighter he would not let spar with Thomas Hearns. Moorer then promptly stepped up to HW some 4 stone heavier. Steward obviously knew well what he was doing.

My comment stems re Teddy stems from what I saw at the time - it was a while ago - but the cameras where in the corner at the end of each Round so the trend was clear.

I understand your point but, on this occasion, I hold to my opinion.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2008 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I know its been said over and over, but to close the thread I just want to reiterate that the current Olympic standard for scoring in Boxing is ridiculously inept. It needs to be changed..not only that, but there is also evident corruption within the ranks as the were several outright robberies in fights involving not just Chinese fighters, but other nationalities as well.
    Amateur Boxing in the Olympics is an absolute joke. It is like a flailing game of tag with no credit given for solid body shots. The sooner the Olympic committee realizes that all of the judges cannot see the fight from the same angle and get rid of this ridiculous push-button scoring, the better. Until then, Olympic Boxing will remain a dissapointment and be more frustrating than entertaining from a viewer's perspective. It must be an absolute nightmare from a coaching perspective as well as a fighter's perspective.
    I hope something gets done about it before 2010 in London.
    But I'm not going to hold my breath..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 7:32am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I thought the Irish Fighter, Egan, had an uphill task against this Chinese opponent. It makes any thinking person despair - and then I remember -

Alan Minter being warned for his marked Exhalations (hence his then nickname of "Boom Boom") so losing to Dieter Kottysch (German) at the 1972 Munich Olympics. Alan had to make do with Bronze and subsequently went on to be World MW Champ. Kottysch went on to Gold and...nothing.

Roy Jones Jnr at 1988 Seoul losing to the local. The Great Reg Gutteridge (UK) called it the worst decision he'd ever seen in the ring. Roy went on to stellar success (as we know) and the Korean....followed Kottysch and did nothing.

Kenny Egan. Well, lets hope he gains Pro success. It would be fitting. And the Chinese boxer, well, it would be unkind not to wish him well, so may he find the limits of his talent.

Hometown decisions in Boxing? Roll on 2012!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 11:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gino
    1. They need to go the 10-point must. This is unwatchable at present. It's a goddam track meet.
    The thing is the 10-point must system is completely subjective and even more corruptable than the current system.

Maybe they could score off slo-mo video but the delay would kill spectacle...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2008 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What they need to kill is the simultaneous scoring thing..but the 10 point must isn't the answer either.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567