Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 8:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the Irish fighters does that, it's a disgrace. I really think it's cheap and cowardly to run away when you're ahead. I saw a great fight between US and Spain earlier, US was ahead 8 - 2 or something but didn't run away, and the Spanish fighter really fought hard and tried to come back, it ended 12 - 9.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 8:51am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They may as well switch to a normal judge system, its not like this way removes any bias so what is the point?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 9:07am

Style: BJJ & K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand what they were trying to do by scoring individual punches rather than the 10 point (where rounds are scored) system.

It should encourage technically good fighters (as opposed to sluggers) and make it far easier to see if points are awarded fairly.

It does do this unfortunately the result of this has been that amateur boxing (especially at international level) is an absolute joke (as in the judges bias is really easy to spot).

The bent judging is probably just as endemic but a lot less visible in pro boxing.

That and the longer fights and lack of head gear make it a lot easier to win by knockout.

On a side note I just waytched the worst boxer (a fat Moroccan) that I have ever seen, judging by his performance I could have been on the Moroccan Olympic team!

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley
    I watched a US fighter run away during the last 35 seconds of the last round and he was losing. I'm not sure what his plan was with that one.

He thought he was winning, at the time. How hilarious is that?

But yea, I don't think I'll watch olympic boxing again unless there's some kind of rule change, I just get too angry. I think it was China and Great Britain, where they double scored a punch for china, and G.B.'s boxer was scoring hook after hook, yet getting nothing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 9:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy

But yea, I don't think I'll watch olympic boxing again unless there's some kind of rule change, I just get too angry. I think it was China and Great Britain, where they double scored a punch for china, and G.B.'s boxer was scoring hook after hook, yet getting nothing.
    I saw that match and I have to tell you I was fucking gutted, still at least Gu (the chinese boxer) admitted that he shouldn't have won:

http://www.us.terra.com/olympics2008...I12185,00.html

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 9:21am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed this last time around. the scoring system has turned the contest into a game of high-speed slap-tag (chun).

It's almost as disgraceful as the screaming and drama in fencing.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 10:04am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The judges are internationally selected, right? Like Chinese judges won't be scoring a fight when Chinese fighter is competing (I hope). I think the bias that's shown tends to be from the poor electronic scoring method more then anything else.

Also, while I agree that the rules do make fighters err on the side of caution, and the Olympic brackets do allow for some mismatches, I've been pretty entertained so far. Hell, it's a lot more exciting then badmitton (sp?) and water polo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 10:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword
    The judges are internationally selected, right? Like Chinese judges won't be scoring a fight when Chinese fighter is competing (I hope). I think the bias that's shown tends to be from the poor electronic scoring method more then anything else.
    I assure you one of the judges in th Gu match was indeed chinese, in fact I think it is the same judges for all bouts.

I would also like to see the punch and run tendency eliminated perhaps with 3 minute rounds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 10:24am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks to me like the scoring was random. I watched a guy litterally run away from his opponent. After 3 (yes 3!) laps around the ring the ref stopped him and said something to him and then restarted them. WTF is going on here? I guess I don't understand the point system they are using. I just stopped watching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 10:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiss
    Looks to me like the scoring was random. I watched a guy litterally run away from his opponent. After 3 (yes 3!) laps around the ring the ref stopped him and said something to him and then restarted them. WTF is going on here? I guess I don't understand the point system they are using. I just stopped watching.
    See my earlier post on the point scoring system as I can't be bothered to go into it again so my short answer is:

Random No
    Easy to subvert Yes
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast