Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So no Hayek/Aniston/Longoria threesome'o'doom? Damn!!ELEVEN!

Budo, Russ, thanks! I guess I have to wait till I get home to see this video.

Unless the aforementioned video dude is a fighter or a combat conditioning coach - a la Ross Enamait (may the Internetz bless his nuts - or at least someone who has remotely worked with fighters, he shouldn't be making such claims... me thinks.

So I guess that will be the main caveat for now.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 9:59pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's Paul Zaichik. He knows his ****. Look at some of his videos.

YouTube - ButterFly Stretch

YouTube - HIGH SIDE KICK Training High Kick Side

I am surprised I was able to type this after seeing the ass in the face avitar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 11:31pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do I get the feeling this guy spends a lot of his spare time in this position?

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hex,
    It takes one, to know one. Don't you think? :booty:

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 10:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is one form of Parsvottanasana (Intense Side Stretch Pose) : http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/1675

Utthita Trikonasana (extended triangle) pose:

That and triangle pose variations like Utthita Trikonasana are awesome. Actually, it's much more safer way of stretching the glutes, hamstrings, calves, the lower back (without arching it much) and the thoraccic spine) than, say, trying to reach the toes in both of your feet.

In here, you are isolating only one leg, so there is less resistance and strain (from the tigh muscles in the forward leg) on the lower back. You try it to do it with both legs, and there is a greater risk of excessive flexing of the lower back.

Also, the strech on the lower back while being almost flat (observe the pic) is felt on the erector spinae muscle itself and the ligaments between the lower spine and the pelvis. When done well, you don't feel much on the lumbar vertebraes at all. The spine remains almost neutral, but the muscles and ligaments over it get stretched along its lenght.

The key is to bend from the hips (from where the femurs join the pelvis) and not bend from the lower back. The "triangle" position, and the isolation of one leg at a time makes it easier to achieve the bend from the hips.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread title changed to something more meaningful.

I'm not sure about Zaichik's take that there have not been other yoga-based products for grapplers (Sonnon's work, Ginastica Natural and "Yoga for Martial Artists"). Plus a lot of other schools have been borrowing heavily from yoga and crossfit for flexibility and agility for years.

Having said that, that's some pretty cool **** being showed on that video. His original claim may be commercial shenanigans, but this guy knows his stuff.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 12:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And now because of the change in thread title we get to see banner ads for it all the time.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 12:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    And now because of the change in thread title we get to see banner ads for it all the time.
    I was actually seeing those before it got changed.

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 1:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same here, I've been seeing those banners for days already.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 2:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That big, fat yellow banner was taking quater of my screen for a week or something.

Stretches are stretches. Not all stretches are yoga and not all yoga is stetches.
    For example a handstand in yoga is not a stretch. I just rewatched the clip. I know yoga pretty well. (been doing it on and off) I say less than 50% of what is in that clip is yoga.

What I would like to know is how much of that clip is strength training and how much is stretching. It looks all bodyweight, which seems to be his angle in most of his stuff.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast