Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/12/2008 1:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like I should be a switch hitter and really **** people up. You guys got any advice on how to switch hit?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    8/12/2008 1:56pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'm about the only one that thinks you should pick the one that you like best and refine it.

Edit: Actually By reading your write up I believe you would be best served through using the orthodox position as your kicking power is probably never going to make much difference in an MMA fight unless you're just a straightup badass kickboxer.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 8/12/2008 2:03pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/12/2008 2:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I guess I'm about the only one that thinks you should pick the one that you like best and refine it.

Edit: Actually By reading your write up I believe you would be best served through using the orthodox position as your kicking power is probably never going to make much difference in an MMA fight unless you're just a straightup badass kickboxer.
    Your opinion sucks now go sit down.

No, seriously, I'll concur that you should refine one side but switching can be cool when you need it.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    8/12/2008 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drown yourself. You're living on borrowed time, lefty

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 5:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lefty's have rights too..........

they just can't use them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 11:36am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Annatrocity and Omega's reply to her post....

Being a "switch" hitter sounds really fucking cool in theory. Of course you want to be equally skilled fighting from both sides and completely expand your options. The unfortunate reality is that there are very, very few people who can do it effectively. What ends up happening is that they divide their time training their different sides, then wind up being half-assed no matter what lead they fight from.

My personal advice/experience is that you would be best served by choosing a side and focusing your efforts on mastering it. The fact that you are comfortable and somewhat competent at switching will still give you an advantage, but like I said, you should train to be a capable fighter from one side rather than a half-assed fighter from both sides....

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 6:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Khun Kao. The first thing I do is to make the fighter identify whether they are right handed or left.
    Then I insist that they practice "Stance-Discipline", and every time they screw up and make a shift to the other stance, they pay, either I kick their legs or they take a head-shot.
    What I have noticed is that during the transition from one side to the other they drop their lead hand mostly, they dont evn realize it.
    Likewise when they also have the ability to change sides, and by chance they take a heavy shot to their leg they switch up to protect it. I tell them that thats a "tell" that you have hurt them and to attack that area again. And again, again, and again.
    Now I'm not saying that some people can't be a switch-hitter, and there are good one's out there, but "You aint them", otherwise you would be on TV, and you would be making millions of $$$$$$$$$$$.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, you punch people in the head if they punch or kick from the wrong stance?

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 4:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes if your trainer wants to keep you honest, then you pay for stupid mistakes.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 9:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess I'm late to the party, but thought I'd chime in anyways.

How long is your reach? I box southpaw, but I have short arms. That means that when I'm sparring a righty (as I usually am), my right foot is toe to toe with his left, and so my left hand is a loooong way from it's destination, ideally, my opponents face. I really have to step in close in order to land a left with any power, and it telegraphs like crazy. I have tons of power on the bag, but the mechanics of landing it on a person are not in my favour. And I almost never get to throw left hooks, which is one of my strongest punches. This wouldn't be an issue (or at least, would be less of one) if I had longer arms.

Maybe something to consider?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast