Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 3:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style for Lesnar???

I was over on Sherdog and they are saying that Brock should train more BJJ. I was thinking that because of his natural size and strength that he should maybe look to Sambo or Catch Wrestling for submissions, maybe to a lesser extent Judo because he seems to be able to take people down easily enough.

For some reason people seem to think that BJJ is the only form of submission grappling there is. BJJ uses alot of finesse and may not be the best choice for someone who can muscle thier way to a submission. I know that Catch wrestling is more submission before position than bjj's position before submission. And sambo uses alot of leg locks and that would seem to be Brocks biggest weakness. Working on setting those up would give him experience on how to defend against them.

I know that BJJ is effective as hell but when I trained in BJJ there was alot of times that I was much bigger and stronger than my opponent and I so much wanted to work on just grabbing limbs and cranking from a not so dominant position. Kind of like Hughes Kimura on Riggs from the half guard. Of course I had an awesome instructor who wouldn't let me do that at the white belt lvl I was at.

Just my 2 cents, probably worth about 1 cent.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 3:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why Sambo or catch? He's already an ace wrestler; he's got problem with takedowns. Are leg locks really his biggest weakness? He got caught with then once. I think he should just train general submission defense. As we saw from his fight last night he has awesome positional control from his wrestling.

How is Hughes kimuraing Riggs from half guard 'cranking on something from a not so dominate position'? It was half guard and Hughes still got the leg over his head. Other than the one trapped leg it was a textbook kimura.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brock should absolutely train more BJJ... He passed up many opportunities to put in the hooks in and secure the back when Herring was turtling. This allowed Heath to scramble to his feet many times. Lesnar reverted to his wrestling Instincts, which allowed his opponent to escape. This led to him having to stand and bang more than he intended to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 3:43pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgo
    BJJ uses alot of finesse and may not be the best choice for someone who can muscle thier way to a submission.
    Training to muscle your way into & through submissions is a sure way to stunt your growth. A grappler should use their attributes in competition but good attributes shouldn't be an excuse for poor training. He should certainly train with finesse, as should anyone who wants to improve their game.

Also, Lesnar should look into laser tatto removal.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 3:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They teach how to put hooks in and take the back in wrestling. I think he passed up those opprotunities because he wanted to hit Herring.

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:23pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you seriously saying not to take a kimura from half guard when presented with the opportunity to do so?

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lesnar needs the gift of Pankration.

Quick, who's got Josh Barnett's number?

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:34pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSDaemon
    Brock should absolutely train more BJJ... He passed up many opportunities to put in the hooks in and secure the back when Herring was turtling. This allowed Heath to scramble to his feet many times. Lesnar reverted to his wrestling Instincts, which allowed his opponent to escape. This led to him having to stand and bang more than he intended to.

More importantly, he needs to train it to learn to avoid subs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:34pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Lesnar's size limits his ability to do a lot of subs. His arms are so freakin' huge that it would be tricky for him to do a kimura for example or to sink in a RNC. He needs to train BJJ for sub defense but I would think he's better off focusing on improving his stand up.

I think he was avoiding the hooks and taking the back because he was really fearful of ending up on his own back. With his size and strength he was able to hold Heath down without risk of getting rolled over and Heath ending up on top of him. With experience he should improve this and start finishing people easier from that position.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:57pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgo
    Kind of like Hughes Kimura on Riggs from the half guard. Of course I had an awesome instructor who wouldn't let me do that at the white belt lvl I was at.
    Why would your instructor not let you work the Kimura from half guard?

Its a pretty standard BJJ sub from that position.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast