Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2008 10:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's funny you should mention walls, a sand back attached to the wall is a valuable training aid for toughening fists and fingers. A whole range of strikes can be practiced this way.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/12/2008 10:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ITRY
    It's funny you should mention walls, a sand back attached to the wall is a valuable training aid for toughening fists and fingers. A whole range of strikes can be practiced this way.
    Why not just punch the wall?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    8/12/2008 10:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You're an idiot, as well.

Thats like saying, Wow, its funny you should mention getting laid, because jerking off is a valuable way to release sexual tension.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/12/2008 11:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    You're an idiot, as well.

Thats like saying, Wow, its funny you should mention getting laid, because jerking off is a valuable way to release sexual tension.

"If only it was as easy to soothe my hunger by rubbing my belly." - Diogenes
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php...ol1n2/bite.xml
    Dude looks like he got in a fight with a nasty spider.
    I've had cuts on my knuckles from punching people in the teeth. So that's what can happen? ****, I'm glad it didn't happen to me...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:38am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow that's a great idea. Now I can stop punching my monitor.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 8:19am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is breaking your hand the only option for the people who always support palm heel strikes? There are plenty of people who punch other people WITHOUT breaking their hands. Especially when they bother to learn how to punch!

In the bare knuckle karate tournaments I did I never broke my hand and before you say but you weren't punching people in the face don't forget that we are constantly elbowing people in the hands.

What is wrong with learning how to punch and then using an obviously harder and sharper weapon?

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 9:11am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punching people in the face is not the problem, punching people in the forehead/skull when they duck is what gets you. I got in a fight years back before i knew much and broke the other guys hand on the top of my head. Screwed my hand with gloves on too by punching a guy in the forehead, it was the middle nuckle area which got damaged so the punching technique was fine.

I think it comes down to risk v reward, there is a decent sized chance you are going to break your hand if you throw barenuckle punches to the head* so you have to think is it worth it or should i just use a less fragile weapon. If it is an untrained drunk attacking you, do you really need to risk injury that could take you out of training 8 weeks? Even if the chance of breakage is under 10% why risk that **** if you know your elbows will destroy the guy just as easily?

Now if someone you care about is in danger or the guy poses some kind of real threat, then yes it is worth potentially fucking your hand up to destroy the guy. It is things like this which make me think grappling arts are much more suited to self defense.

*when i was getting my hand x-rayed the lady said i was the 4th person they'd seen with nuckle injuries that week, albiet most were boxer fractures from punching incorrectly.
    Last edited by Sang; 8/13/2008 9:15am at .

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, which did we decide was better?

edit:

It is things like this which make me think grappling arts are much more suited to self defense.
    BJJ wins again!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 9:21am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all I think this is total bullshit if you train how to punch bare knuckled:
    "there is a decent sized chance you are going to break your hand if you throw barenuckle punches to the head*"

Also there seems to be this false idea that untrained palm heels are better than even trained punching which I think is patently ridiculous.

Maybe this only applies to me but I train to punch people. I don't train to palm heel people. How could it be a better idea to plan to use something I don't train in a high pressure situation?
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast