Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 10:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

help breaking grip no-gi

Hello,

One of the most frustrating things that are holding me back in my training is breaking ones grip from my wrists. I have 6.5 inch wrist and a majority of who I roll with are 30-50lbs heavier than me. I can't get them to let go of my arms in ANY position. I have been doing fairly well with getting my position transitions/escapes down, but never can go for any submissions due to my arms being locked down and/or wrapped around my body. Are there certain things you can do to break free? Some Aikido I guess would help? I can't slap the wrist and walk away when I'm laying on my back either.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 10:10am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some basic principles of grip breaking are in order.
    First, break their grip in the direction of their thumb, that's the weakest part of the grip.
    Second, break their grip with a narrow part of your arm, so turn your wrist so that you can drive into their thumb with the bone of your forearm, not the flat of it. Less surface area gives you more force.
    Third, recruit more limbs. I weigh 145 lbs, sometimes extremely strong people get grips on my wrists when rolling. One of my preferred solutions is to feed my knee up and put my shin on their wrist, then push down with my leg and pull my arm. That usually works.
    Fourth, swirly kungfu/aikido grip breaks do work pretty well. I frequently use a couple of the basic grip breaks I learned from aikido during my brief time training it and they are very high percentage as far as grip breaks go.
    Fifth, abuse their grips. What's the practical difference between then grabbing you and you grabbing them? Not much. If someone is in your guard and latches on to your wrist, spin to the armbar. Kick your legs up for a high guard and go for a double armbar. Stuff like that will make them let go to defend or try to pass, if you're ready for it you can take advantage of that.

Bottom line is that as a much smaller person you're going to have to learn to focus your whole body against stronger people. Fighting their arm with your arm is a losing battle. Fighting their arm with your arm and your leg will be much easier.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what he said. seriously.

generic "aikido" grip breaks (opening the book/turning towards the thumb, bringing your hand in and then up, etc) are generic for a reason - they actually do work. so does breaking via position, using their grips against them for sweeps and subs, tying them up, shucking with the knee...

have you asked your instructor? he can see what you're actually doing wrong.

remember that a grip is not, in and of itself, control. someone wants to hold my wrist? here you go man, knock yourself out. in the mean time, i'm going to sweep him or pass his guard.

oh yeah: keep in mind where the grip is, in relation to both your body and his. fight the grip with your arm in front of yourself and against his extended arm, and you'll (generally) have the advantage.
    Last edited by pauli; 5/18/2010 11:11am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 11:35am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, you guys beat me to the punch.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 3:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info, I will see what I can do tomorrow. I am going to be rolling slower next time so they may not grip as much. I got major tendonitis in my elbows and knees and have to almost quit working out. I am so pissed... my tendons suck, or I'm just an idiot.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 4:27pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've recently started doing the circling hand grips breaks much less in favour of the kind of break where you almost but not quite throw an elbow at your partner. I think it is more powerful and allows me to retain a better defensive posture.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 6:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, last night we actually did wrist control drills. We both stood there and circled out for wrist control, kind of like pummeling drills, I was pleased. Had to leave early due to my tendonitis. Going to take a few weeks off (will show up for the technique but can't roll or push myself hard).