Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 3:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first amateur Muay Thai fight.

Well, here's a video of my first amateur muay thai fight a couple of months ago, I hope I posted it the right way. I didn't train particulary for this fight because It was kind of in short notice and at first I thought it was going to be some kind of exhibition but later found out it was an amateur match, and well I got my ass kicked. We traveled to Trujillo, a city in the north of Peru for the fight.

One thing they told me before the fight is that he used to do boxing before training muay thai, so my plan was to try using kicks more than punches. the problem is that I didn't know who I was fighting until 10 min before the event started, and I found out he was a southpaw during the fight, so I had never trained with a southpaw before. I usually use my jab a lot because of my long arms but since his stance was different I had no idea how to use my jab, his lead hand was right there.

Some of the problems I had were that I gassed too fast, maybe because of the nerves or the body shots i got hit with. My trainer told me I was going back too much and I should have countered more.
    Also he was a very aggressive fighter and had 1 MT fight and 2 boxing matches under his belt. After I got the 8 count I was kind of in survival mode and I was trying to avoid losing by knockout.
    Any suggestions or critisism would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

(I'm the one on the red shorts)

YouTube - Steve Rodriguez vs

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 12:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks and sounds like you were psyched out before the fight even started. Don't worry about what you can't do. Just focus on what you CAN do. He might've been a southpaw, but what did you learn by fighting him?

If I were to give you any advice, I'd say that you should go into a fight with a clear head. It's easy to be concerned about only winning. However, just focus on what you've been working on (e.g. cover and counter, stick and move, etc.) Rely on your training and forget about what you can't do.

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 12:41am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You showed better skill than most first time amateur fighters i've seen, good work! Don't feel bad about losing, there is a world of difference between 3 and 0 fights and at the end of they day AM fights are just about learning, not having the best record.

I apreciated how you kept your hands up most of the fight even though you were gassed. The only peice of advice i can offer is that when people bum rush you like that, cut an angle and chop their legs or jam them with a strong teep right when they come in. Nice job having the guts to get in there, i'm sure you'll dominate your next opponent.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 1:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks man, I hope I do better in my next fight. I hope I have time to train because mi clases beguin again in a week, I'll try to make time for my training and hopefully get back in the ring.

I also think I was too nervous, I think I threw like 5 punches in the whole fight, and they didn't even land, I wasn't setting up my kicks with punches. I was waiting too much. Next time I'll try to be more agressive. And I definetly hope I don't gass that fast.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your stance was really narrow. Spread your feet a little more and drop your weight to give yourself more balance.

Also you were just standing in place waiting for him to attack most of the time, so he was able to just push you around and make the fight go at his chosen pace. You want to have a more active role in how the fight goes. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to be attacking the whole time, but you want to be controlling the ring, moving around, and trying to make sure to be the first and last to land something in each engagement.