12/09/2003 8:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MA responsibilty to society

An old saying:

For evil to succeed, all it take is for good people to do nothing

You can subsitute evil with: crime, hate, intolerance, fear, etc.

As MA do we have a "responsibility" to be more, do more , than we do for the greater GOOD of society?

Please discuss.

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 8:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not talking about being a hero, although that as a first impression says a great deal about you.
    Taking an active role in the community, teaching women and kids awarness, that kind of thing.

If our "grandfathers" had NOT taken a role in the 40's, where would we be now?

Not remotely funny

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely bullshido is one of the prime examples of why not all martial artists should consider themselves adequate teachers for society. If you join a community project of any sort, then yes, offering ma as one of your skills at their disposal is a good thing. However, to assume that you will be teaching ma and/or self defence rather than just being a member of the team on say litter picking duty strikes me a bit as hubris.

Do good for society because you feel it's right, rather than you wanting to strut your stuff.

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 8:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed, the reasons we do things are what we will be judged on, yes.

May I add: If not us, who? and if not now, when?

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 9:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO. Yes we do. The strong should help protect the weak in society. Kind of a case in point.... I was watching the news last night, and saw an interview with an Irag teenager. His family was in a community that was heavily defended by coalition. He, even with the heavy security, said he was so apprciative, and finally was beginning to feel free. Safe from the terrorists trying to disrupt effort to stablize Irag. He thanked us (coalition members), the strong protecting him,and helping him obtain true freedom.... I think there is a point there...

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 9:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first Karate instructor, taught the police, he taught the military. He said:
    They are out there protecting US, the least I can do is help them to protect them selves.

Not remotely funny

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying don't, I'd actually say do!. Just saying don't limit yourself to being the badass that will reclaim the streets for the "common folk". Look at the other skills you have, can you drive (often wanted), can you teach, can you go to the shops? Ma is really quite a limited skill-set which may or may not be useful and is no more applicable to society than many others, so no I don't see it enforcing a person's commitment to socity in any way.

You're also making me feel guilty again as my interest in good works lapsed when I last moved cities... shame on you.

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 9:06am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amen Ronin.... with power comes responsibility. It doesn't mean you need to start a crusade, but just do what is right. What is in you power to do.

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 9:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one is suggesting any vigilante sort of ****, keeping the law is the job of the police.
    What I am saying is, MOST not all, Martial artist have a strong sense of personal honour and self respect, to share that, along with out physical skills is NOT a bad thing.

Posted On:
    12/09/2003 9:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ummhh.... yeah what he said....slightly off topic probably, I saw a few years ago a news special with a Serb soldier standing over the body of a 12 year old girl who had just been killed by having her throat cut! That guy needed some vigilante work.....I mean common... a 12 year old!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast