Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 10:38am

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    The only way in which his opinion is even remotely considerable is if you assume Jesus was real... :biblethum

:angry4:
    I'm a catholic, and I think everything the idiot said was complete and utter :bssign: .
    The only people who would consider this to be real would be fictional fanatics created by Stephen King!

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 11:34am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodland
    Ok....Ask him if boxing makes one more ressistant to Satan for me
    Thankfully she went off to college, got drunk, and chilled out a bit.

*sigh* 7th day adventists..... =T

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 4:17pm

Style: Tai Chi & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    The only way in which his opinion is even remotely considerable is if you assume Jesus was real... :biblethum

Unfortunately (for him, and for people like him), that's an opinion supported by much less evidence than is readily available for the reality of Santa Claus. "Because the Bible says so," and forgeries in historical records written centuries after he allegedly lived, do not a watertight case make...

So, if we re-engage our common sense and our critical thinking, we can immediately see that not only is he full of **** on the religious angle, but he's obviously in need of learning a bit more about Asian language before he starts talking out of his ass with piss-poor mistranslations and over-simplifications. He's just another mono-lingual American trying to sound intelligent and failing epically while doing so.

:angry4:
    Hey, Matt! It's been a long time since I last heard from you. Thanks for posting. I heard Sifu Starr had a big seminar not too long ago. Did you attend?

I also found Lay's article ridiculous. I'm not here to force my religious beliefs on anyone. However, I'd rather live my life as if there is a Jesus and die to find out there isn't than live my life as if there is not a Jesus and die to find out there is.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodland
    And people say I have weird opinions, but it should be expected of him to be eccentric. After all, he did ITF TKD....

Well a catholic priest is a professional boxer and a protestant priest is a MMA fighter, who cares about this guy?
    What part of his article gave you the impression that he did ITF TKD? You're actually somewhat correct. My understanding is that he studied TKD under a master (In Shik Kim) who taught the WTF Pal-Gwe forms up blue belt, I believe 4th Kup. According to some local martial artists, he dropped out, and got a mail order black belt certification. I have friends who trained with him and know for a fact that he included ITF hyungs in his curriculum when he taught back in the 90's.

Are you from Sioux City?
    Last edited by DanDavis; 8/09/2008 5:50pm at .

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 4:28pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDavis
    I find it funny that he refers to MA as an occult in an article for "The Mennonite!" For those of you who are unfamiliar with Mennonites, they are much like the Amish and Quakers. The only noticeable difference is that they drive automobiles.
    The wierd translation/occult stuff is blatantly stupid, but if you are a member of one of the hyper pacifist sects that actually practices the whole "turn the other cheek" thing, then MA probably isn't consistent with your religious beliefs. No problem with that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 5:12pm

Style: Japanese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To hijack the well-known bumper sticker:

DYSLEXIC MARTIAL ARTISTS WORSHIP SANTA

Gawd, I am so happy I study older traditional arts such as jujitsu and iaijitsu and am therefore immune from these “hidden ways” of the devil.

"...How can we as parents allow our precious children to learn these skills that are so openly taught to harm and kill? The violence must stop."

Well one theory I have heard (and is backed up by historical research) is violence seems to stop when your enemy is dead.

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 5:20pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I find hilarious is how functioning in the real world, is so much more corrosive of christian values then participating in karate class.

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 5:50pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember this coming up before. Is this the same guy or are their actually more than one of these delusional dipshits?

I've seen this in a couple friends. Someone converts and then has to condemn everything in their old life as satanic as part of their dramatic "rebirth". Gives them an excuse to act like pious bitches.

Call it Kirk Cameron Syndrome.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 5:54pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    The wierd translation/occult stuff is blatantly stupid, but if you are a member of one of the hyper pacifist sects that actually practices the whole "turn the other cheek" thing, then MA probably isn't consistent with your religious beliefs. No problem with that.
    "Turn the other cheek" is probably one of the most misinterpreted phrases in the Bible. In Jesus' time, it was an acceptable practice to slap someone of a lower class across the face with the back of the right hand as a sign of contempt. By turning the other cheek, the person doing the slapping has only two options, to slap you with his palm or punch you (using the left hand was forbidden as it was used for unclean purposes, never for personal contact). So, by turning the other cheek, you force the other party to deal with you as an equal. It is a way of standing up for yourself.

Not to derail the thread, or anything...

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 5:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    I remember this coming up before. Is this the same guy or are their actually more than one of these delusional dipshits?

I've seen this in a couple friends. Someone converts and then has to condemn everything in their old life as satanic as part of their dramatic "rebirth". Gives them an excuse to act like pious bitches.

Call it Kirk Cameron Syndrome.
    He's come up before, but not for this. There's an old thread that included a link (that no longer exists) to his US Martial Arts Association profile/resume. It included more degrees than any legitimate martial artist could attain in less than four lifetimes. One of them was a 4th Dan in Shidokan that Miguksaram investigated and found to be bullshit. Another was a 1st Dan in Hapkido that I looked into because the man he claimed to receive it from was my father in-law. That turned out to be an honorary rank.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast