222072 Bullies, 4186 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 46
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. DanDavis is offline

    Professional Fighter

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    688

    Posted On:
    8/08/2008 10:12pm


     Style: Tai Chi & TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Phony Martial Arts Instructor Turned Mennonite Writes Article

    "Christ or the world—time to choose"

    As a martial artist, I became involved with all aspects of the arts—from physical prowess to their spiritual teaching of “Do” (pronounced doe). “Do” means “the way” or “path” of living one’s life in “the way” of all things. Martial arts are a tool, used to spread this humanistic/occultic view to the masses. “Do” is in virtually every aspect of the martial arts, and the average person has no idea.

    In many martial art schools, the term “Do” is in the terminology, such as the Korean word “Dobak.” Americans call it a uniform, but it can translate as “a spiritual protector one wears when learning “the way.”

    Americans call the Korean term “Dojang” (“Dojo” in Japanese) a school, but it translates as “a place to practice ‘the way.’ ” The Japanese term for instructor is “Sensei.” This literally means “one who has gone before us.”

    A student comes to the Dojang, puts on their Dobak and learns a martial art (probably one with “Do” in its name, such as Taekwon-Do), from the Sensei. Nothing wrong with that, but if we say it as it literally means, we see a problem.

    The disciple comes to the place of learning the way, wearing their spiritual protector, while practicing the way of self-perfection in the way of all things, from the one who has gone before us in the way. Sounds different, doesn’t it?

    Not every martial arts instructor is evil. Many are kind, go to church, teach Sunday school and are contributing members of the community. However, they have been subtly conditioned by Eastern/New Age philosophical deceptions.

    The martial arts have students as young as 4 years of age. As Christian parents we are commanded by the Lord to fill the earth with children who will follow him in his ways of peace. We will be held accountable for our choices and actions, especially concerning children, as they are precious gifts from our Father.

    As adults we seem to think we are immune to the dangers of the evil one’s deceptions. Wrong. We’re under constant attack as to weaken us into allowing sin that will lead to our children.

    Occult teachings combined with physical blows, limb wrenching and serious maiming techniques are taught under the guise of “tradition” or the “art” of the system. I also recall the excuse, “We teach these techniques with control so we don’t hurt each other.” This may be true, but the fact is that they are taught and perfected through repetition to become “second nature.” How can we as parents allow our precious children to learn these skills that are so openly taught to harm and kill? The violence must stop.

    Many have said that perhaps martial arts could be used to stop violent people from sinning against the Lord, victims and themselves. Use all the Christian terminology you wish but see the truth for what it is, a human justification for condoning evil.

    From personal experience, the learning and practice of “basic” self-defense does lead to further progression into the philosophical and “selfreliant” physical aspects of the martial arts that are contrary to Christ’s teachings. The student will go beyond the instructor’s rhetoric, as I did, and delve deeper into the arts.

    Peace and gentleness of spirit are the foundation to an ethical society. I am disturbed with the way our children and young people are growing up. We Christian parents need to engage our brains when making decisions regarding what we expose our children and ourselves to.

    True self-defense doesn’t need to be learned in a martial arts class. It is a quality gained by time and understanding. Through instruction and participation, parents and their faith in Christ should teach children the ideals held by the parent and family. This in turn will enhance children’s inner self-defense mechanism, which will lead to a greater and more fulfilling life.

    Brian Lay is a member of the Sermon on the Mount Mennonite Church in Sioux Falls, S.D. He can be contacted at brian.lay@hotmail.com.
    Last edited by DanDavis; 8/09/2008 9:04am at .
  2. MrGalt is offline
    MrGalt's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Back in Tennessee...sigh
    Posts
    943

    Posted On:
    8/08/2008 10:19pm


     Style: Seidokaikan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we retitle this thread, "TKD instructor doesn't speak Korean, turns ridiculous Asiaphile overtranslation of simple word into justification for conceptual leap straight off the deep end?"
  3. mrm1775 is offline
    mrm1775's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    1,220

    Posted On:
    8/09/2008 4:05am


     Style: This and that

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn fundamentalists. They try to read a satanic plot into everything.
  4. Fodland is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    192

    Posted On:
    8/09/2008 6:12am


     Style: BJJ, boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And people say I have weird opinions, but it should be expected of him to be eccentric. After all, he did ITF TKD....

    Well a catholic priest is a professional boxer and a protestant priest is a MMA fighter, who cares about this guy?
  5. Lebell is offline
    Lebell's Avatar

    Just waiting for the paperboy.

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lolland
    Posts
    12,496

    Posted On:
    8/09/2008 8:11am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDavis

    As Christian parents we are commanded by the Lord to fill the earth with children who will follow him in his ways of peace. We will be held accountable for our choices and actions, especially concerning children, as they are precious gifts from our Father.
    HAI DAN!
    All teh martial arts must b christian!11!!!
    JoIn Us!

    LOL!!11!!! HereTiCs!!!1!!

  6. DanDavis is offline

    Professional Fighter

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    688

    Posted On:
    8/09/2008 9:08am


     Style: Tai Chi & TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it funny that he refers to MA as an occult in an article for "The Mennonite!" For those of you who are unfamiliar with Mennonites, they are much like the Amish and Quakers. The only noticeable difference is that they drive automobiles.
  7. danniboi07 is offline
    danniboi07's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    626, California
    Posts
    1,250

    Posted On:
    8/09/2008 9:42am


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reminds me when my friend told me that Yoga and meditation are evil. You relax so much that it renders your defenses from Satan useless and allow the evil into your body.

    ...and no I'm not shitting you...
  8. Fodland is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    192

    Posted On:
    8/09/2008 10:08am


     Style: BJJ, boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07
    Reminds me when my friend told me that Yoga and meditation are evil. You relax so much that it renders your defenses from Satan useless and allow the evil into your body.

    ...and no I'm not shitting you...
    Ok....Ask him if boxing makes one more ressistant to Satan for me
  9. Orchidman is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4

    Posted On:
    8/09/2008 10:15am


     Style: Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDavis
    "Christ or the world—time to choose"

    As a martial artist, I became involved with all aspects of the arts—from physical prowess to their spiritual teaching of “Do” (pronounced doe). “Do” means “the way” or “path” of living one’s life in “the way” of all things. Martial arts are a tool, used to spread this humanistic/occultic view to the masses. “Do” is in virtually every aspect of the martial arts, and the average person has no idea.

    In many martial art schools, the term “Do” is in the terminology, such as the Korean word “Dobak.” Americans call it a uniform, but it can translate as “a spiritual protector one wears when learning “the way.”

    Americans call the Korean term “Dojang” (“Dojo” in Japanese) a school, but it translates as “a place to practice ‘the way.’ ” The Japanese term for instructor is “Sensei.” This literally means “one who has gone before us.”

    A student comes to the Dojang, puts on their Dobak and learns a martial art (probably one with “Do” in its name, such as Taekwon-Do), from the Sensei. Nothing wrong with that, but if we say it as it literally means, we see a problem.

    The disciple comes to the place of learning the way, wearing their spiritual protector, while practicing the way of self-perfection in the way of all things, from the one who has gone before us in the way. Sounds different, doesn’t it?

    Not every martial arts instructor is evil. Many are kind, go to church, teach Sunday school and are contributing members of the community. However, they have been subtly conditioned by Eastern/New Age philosophical deceptions.

    The martial arts have students as young as 4 years of age. As Christian parents we are commanded by the Lord to fill the earth with children who will follow him in his ways of peace. We will be held accountable for our choices and actions, especially concerning children, as they are precious gifts from our Father.

    As adults we seem to think we are immune to the dangers of the evil one’s deceptions. Wrong. We’re under constant attack as to weaken us into allowing sin that will lead to our children.

    Occult teachings combined with physical blows, limb wrenching and serious maiming techniques are taught under the guise of “tradition” or the “art” of the system. I also recall the excuse, “We teach these techniques with control so we don’t hurt each other.” This may be true, but the fact is that they are taught and perfected through repetition to become “second nature.” How can we as parents allow our precious children to learn these skills that are so openly taught to harm and kill? The violence must stop.

    Many have said that perhaps martial arts could be used to stop violent people from sinning against the Lord, victims and themselves. Use all the Christian terminology you wish but see the truth for what it is, a human justification for condoning evil.

    From personal experience, the learning and practice of “basic” self-defense does lead to further progression into the philosophical and “selfreliant” physical aspects of the martial arts that are contrary to Christ’s teachings. The student will go beyond the instructor’s rhetoric, as I did, and delve deeper into the arts.

    Peace and gentleness of spirit are the foundation to an ethical society. I am disturbed with the way our children and young people are growing up. We Christian parents need to engage our brains when making decisions regarding what we expose our children and ourselves to.

    True self-defense doesn’t need to be learned in a martial arts class. It is a quality gained by time and understanding. Through instruction and participation, parents and their faith in Christ should teach children the ideals held by the parent and family. This in turn will enhance children’s inner self-defense mechanism, which will lead to a greater and more fulfilling life.

    Brian Lay is a member of the Sermon on the Mount Mennonite Church in Sioux Falls, S.D. He can be contacted at brian.lay@hotmail.com.
    This man Christian not understand martial way.
  10. Matt Stone is offline
    Matt Stone's Avatar

    U.S. Army

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,246

    Posted On:
    8/09/2008 10:33am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way in which his opinion is even remotely considerable is if you assume Jesus was real... :biblethum

    Unfortunately (for him, and for people like him), that's an opinion supported by much less evidence than is readily available for the reality of Santa Claus. "Because the Bible says so," and forgeries in historical records written centuries after he allegedly lived, do not a watertight case make...

    So, if we re-engage our common sense and our critical thinking, we can immediately see that not only is he full of **** on the religious angle, but he's obviously in need of learning a bit more about Asian language before he starts talking out of his ass with piss-poor mistranslations and over-simplifications. He's just another mono-lingual American trying to sound intelligent and failing epically while doing so.

    :angry4:
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.