Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why is there always so much aggression and bad manners in these forums. Many of you sound very angry about life.

Swearing and insults do you no favours if you want people to take you seriously.
    It also appears that everyone just wants to go out there on the big mean streets and engage in fights to prove themselves. I know the streets can be dangerous sometimes but I think the chances of getting involved in a fight unless you want to, or you put yourself in a position to, or you are in a profession that may necessitate the use of physical intervention is small.

It also seems that you wish to gauge every art by its so called physical applications. There is much more to it than that.

Many arts, including tai chi give the exponant knowledge of how the body works, the ability to learn and the skills, however, it is up to the individual to use those teaching tools and put them into practise in a real situation.

I have been a student of aikido for nearly 30 years and while I would agree the the techniques as practised in the dojo would not necessarily be practical on the street, the art gives you the tools to develop defences for yourself in a street situation and in my job as a law enforcement officer have used shortened versions of aiki based techniques to prevent myself getting injured whilst taking in violent criminals.

Then there is the adrenaline which rises in a dangerous situation and determines whether you fight or flee or freeze for that matter. I have seen some very skilled martial artists of many styles freeze in a real situation.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh boy here we go....goodbye.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:11pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicojersey
    why is there always so much aggression and bad manners in these forums.
    I have a feeling there's about to be more.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arts that "give the exponant knowledge of how the body works" are fine, but they're not martial arts.

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:24pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Mr. Nico,

It is a pleasure and an honor dear sir, that you took the time to write to us posters on Bullshido in such a respectful and polite manner and I can assure you that everyone here will respond with the appropriate levels of etiquette deserving of your warm tone and civility and internet demeanor.

In regards to your inquiry to the meaning of life, I trust your stay here will bring you closer to what your answer will be.

Respectfully and Cordially Yours,

KO'd N DOA

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is it the LEO'S, that deem it necessary to lecture us on said "martial arts," never seem to mention the guns, batons, pepper spray and handcuffs they carry?

Why is it always "eyekeydough" or "cheyeknees joynt lawks."

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why is there always so much aggression and bad manners in these forums. Many of you sound very angry about life.
    my parents divorced, so... bite me!

It also appears that everyone just wants to go out there on the big mean streets and engage in fights to prove themselves. I know the streets can be dangerous sometimes but I think the chances of getting involved in a fight unless you want to, or you put yourself in a position to, or you are in a profession that may necessitate the use of physical intervention is small.
    I you read more and post less you will see that many people agree with this point

It also seems that you wish to gauge every art by its so called physical applications. There is much more to it than that.
    No, the bar is set high for MARTIAL arts, interpretive dancing gets a free pass

Many arts, including tai chi give the exponant knowledge of how the body works, the ability to learn and the skills, however, it is up to the individual to use those teaching tools and put them into practise in a real situation.
    this is your opinion, from my point of view, the problem arises when a student pays an instructor to teach him/her how to fight and doesn't, this student would be better served at a local boxing/kickboxing/muay thai/judo/jiujitsu/sambo club, than at aikido/tai chi/other such non-sense stuff

I have been a student of aikido for nearly 30 years and while I would agree the the techniques as practised in the dojo would not necessarily be practical on the street,
    how long it took you to realize this little issue, and wouldn't you be better serve at some other place?

Then there is the adrenaline which rises in a dangerous situation and determines whether you fight or flee or freeze for that matter. I have seen some very skilled martial artists of many styles freeze in a real situation.
    Adrenaline shouldn't be an excuse, if you're used to this adrenaline dump (be it because of competition, serious trainning, etc), this shouldn't hinder your performance under stress too much, the problem is when you train with compliance, don't train with intend, and have no competition or other stress situation where you become used to the dump.

Now, somebody else will be in shortly to make my point clearer and more concise, until then, bite me aiki boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nevermind that IIF. They have radios. I have two LEO brother in laws. One works in a maximum security prison, the other in a rather tough local city. They both say the radio is the best weapon. One "beep beep" and you got 20 guys rushing in.
    Last edited by cyrijl; 8/08/2008 3:41pm at .
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:38pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then they aren't the real LEOS are they?

I see no mention of Aikido.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh they do joint locks. After the four guys hold the guy down and the 16 draw their sidearms.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast