Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJScout
    There is a drop in fee for visitors. Make sure you go to a beginners class. They may wipe the mat with you, but it won't be spiteful. It will be because you don't know anything. Well worth going, though.
    You study there?

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 12:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you meet Renzo, shake his hand, bow, and then ask him if his vagina clenched a little when Sakuraba snapped his arm like a little bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 1:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, one more serious question that all you ignoramuses will tell me to just ask The Renzo but I'll ask anyway--would you recommend wearing my heavyweight karate gi, or shorts/t-shirt?

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 1:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How heavy is heavy? If its like any of the karate gis I've seen, I'd stay clear. Not just because it'll be in tatters by the end of class, but even a summer BJJ gi can make a rear or clock choke extra nasty.
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 1:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno
    How heavy is heavy? If its like any of the karate gis I've seen, I'd stay clear. Not just because it'll be in tatters by the end of class, but even a summer BJJ gi can make a rear or clock choke extra nasty.
    Single-weave heavyweight with karate stitching is how it's described. It'll hold up to rolling, whereas a more typical flowery lightweight karate gi would not.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 1:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then wear it. Your insight into BJJ technique grows exponentially when you wear and roll with someone wearing a gi. Also, protect your neck, ************. They be Brazilian.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 1:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I know I'm gonna get schooled either way. No worries. I'm just hoping to get schooled by their blue belts, not their white belts :) j/k

I really remember someone saying that Renzo's guys put new people, shall we say, thoroughly in their place. How rough will it be?

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 1:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know. But I have heard that Machado students get an ill-welcome at that and a few other Gracie schools. Why, not sure. You don't have to worry about that though. And don't be afraid to ask for help, or ask why someone does something.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 1:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to a Renzo black belt's school and we are very kind to beginners.

As far as the karate Gi thing goes. Wear it because you will learn more but tap quickly to collar chokes or you will get bruises on your neck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 6:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: brazilian JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I visited Renzo's gym and took a daytime beginner class last August, when I visited NYC. I called in advance and spoke to Igor(Roll's Son) and he said no problem just show up early to sign the med waiver stuff.

The day of, I showed up (hint: it's in the basement of a pretty non descript building) met Igor, signed the med waiver, paid my mat fee(40$ if i remember) and was introduced to the instructor (another brazilian guy.. can't remember name)and was shown around the gym(locker room, etc..). Since I was there really early i was able to watch John Danaher giving some privates for awhile before class.

Class was nice, everyone treated me well. Not the usual "let's beat up the visiting white belt". it was good training, no attitudes, no egos and I learned some new stuff. What more can you ask for?

If you have a chance I recommend going, just call in advance and be honest about your skill level and your intentions.

Edit: Igor is Rolls' son not Rolles.
    Last edited by cjlcjl; 8/07/2008 7:05pm at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast