Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 9:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Visiting Renzo Gracie's BJJ in NYC

I'm looking to take my karate teacher down to visit Renzo's in NYC (probably sometime in October). I've never been before, and was hoping for tips/advice.

- I vaguely remember seeing a thread (which I could not subsequently find) about 1st timers at Renzo's getting absolutely destroyed...any corroboration? What if we're karate instructors--will they take a disliking to us? We're very polite and friendly :) :) :)

- http://www.renzogracie.com/free-introductory-class.html says the intro class is for those "interested in seriously enrolling at the academy and training at least twice a week in our beginner Blue B program". That's not us. We just want to visit. I'd love to take the intro, but is there a mat fee/open mat policy for visitors like us?

- Any advice specific to Renzo's or visiting-BJJ-school-as-karate-student?

Thanks everyone.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are you going if you have no interest in joining?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 10:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To visit a high-profile dojo with a good reputation to see how they do things? It's moderately common among some MA circles.

I live 1.5 hours upstate. There's no challenge in it. Just want to hop on the mat.

If it's not something they do, I'll look somewhere else.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing as your Dojo wouldn't be in direct competition with his, I don't see why Renzo wouldn't welcome you.

HOWEVER, you really should tell him your reasons for coming BEFORE you turn up.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 10:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Seeing as your Dojo wouldn't be in direct competition with his, I don't see why Renzo wouldn't welcome you.

HOWEVER, you really should tell him your reasons for coming BEFORE you turn up.
    I plan on it. What I don't get, though, is which class to go to.

Does anyone go there and know their open mat policy?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 10:49am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask whoever answers the phone when you call them and tell them you'd like to come down and check it out.

People amaze me sometimes.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you speak to Renzo beforehand, he'll tell you when to come down :)
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 10:54am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't listen to these clowns. Renzo is super cool and bases his classes on respect and will expect the same from you. The best way to show respect is to show up (no need to call) and challange the first person you see (student or otherwise) to a kumite. If you win, he'll let you train for a day. If you lose, well, you'll have to clean the toilets with your tounge.

Make sure to bring your camera and good luck!

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 11:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    When you speak to Renzo beforehand, he'll tell you when to come down :)
    Yeah, might as well call. I was hoping to get an answer by looking like an ignorant clown in front of Bullshido instead of The Renzo. :toothy9:

BTW, challenging the school to a kumite sounds like a great idea. I mean...c'mon, rassling on the ground can't possibly defeat my krotty!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 12:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a drop in fee for visitors. Make sure you go to a beginners class. They may wipe the mat with you, but it won't be spiteful. It will be because you don't know anything. Well worth going, though.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast