Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 12:18pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard that people of South and Southeast Asian descent are more likely to be left-handed than other ethnicities (15% vs. about 10%), but I don't know if that is the entire explanation for the increasted incidence of southpaw Thai fighters. I suspect that some of them train to fight southpaw even if they are right-handed, just to give them an advantage against orthodox fighters (and to reduce the disadvantage against other southpaws). I will ask my trainers tonight.

Great article BTW, Sang.

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 5:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your advice, I have been watching UFC fights and have found a few south paw muay thai style fighters that have some good combinations and the right hook was all over the paquiao vs hatton fight. I see you also live in China, is there a place you train in Nanjing?

Posted On:
    5/05/2009 7:25am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My main training place in Nanjing is the 1912 club strip with frequent cross training at KTV and every restraunt in the city ;). Unfortunately i'm here on business so i pretty much haven't trained in a week, for a month i went pretty reguarly to the Nanjing district team place (don't know how to type chinese so i can't show you the exact address).

Good news is that when i go back to australia i get personal training by a 100+ fight southpaw who liked watching my fight so i'll be able to re-do the guide a little more advanced in a year or so :).

Whereabouts in China do you live and whats the Muay Thai scene like here? I'm going to be living in Nanjing for 2 years starting March and i really don't want to compete Sanda. If you could help me out with maybe a decent fight gym in Nanjing i'd be really greatful.

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 1:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been very illuminating. I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has edited out a whole lot of left handed fighters fights to make a 'southpaw' fight guide, that would be awesome. I have compiled a list of south paw fighters, if anyone finds a site that has a bunch of their videos, please let me know.
    Yushin Okami
    Rich Franklin
    Anderson Silva
    Yves Edwards
    Lyoto Machida
    Manny Pacquiao
    Jens Pulver
    Diego Sanchez
    Kenny Florian Nick Diaz
    Winky Wright
    Michael Moore
    Jerome LeBanner
    Andy Hug
    Mirko ‘Cro cop’ Filipovic
    Akio Mori
    Rick Roufus
    Jan Nortje
    Vitali Ahramenko

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 1:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Good news is that when i go back to australia i get personal training by a 100+ fight southpaw who liked watching my fight so i'll be able to re-do the guide a little more advanced in a year or so :). "

Are you Australian? I am too, who is the southpaw fighter you can train with in Australia and where is her situated? I would be totally keen to see about getting some lessons when I am back in Australia, although I have not done any amateur fights yet, I broke my toe recently so have been out for two months.

"Whereabouts in China do you live and whats the Muay Thai scene like here? I'm going to be living in Nanjing for 2 years starting March and i really don't want to compete Sanda. If you could help me out with maybe a decent fight gym in Nanjing i'd be really greatful.[/quote]"

I live in Shanghai, there is a good thai boxing teacher here called Tomer Oz, he trained in thailand and NY for a long time, great technique and a good fighter. He is trying to organize a thai boxing event, the first in Shanghai, some time this year and will bring a thai trainer over at some time. I can pass on your details to him if you want to fight.

When my toe gets better it would be great to do some training together, you could come up to Shanghai, it is pretty fast on the train now. I can introduce you to Tomer and then maybe you will have more impetus to get back into it.

Posted On:
    6/10/2009 5:41am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aw, i'd love to fight on the first ever Muay Thai event in Shanghai but i won't be back until mid-2010. I'm back in Australia now. Thanks a bunch for the name, Shanghai is close so no doubt he'll know someone in Nanjing i can train under when i go back.

The coach i mentioned above lives in Brisbane, he really knows his ****. If you live local i a can ask him if you can join his class, since numbers are limited due to them training in his shed i think it's invite only.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/11/2009 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not like to share my southpaw techniques.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 12:25am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting article:
    http://www.centralkickboxing.org/Art..._southpaws.htm

Sirc, southpaw techniques is usually faster for me as well, but sometimes I like orthodox techniques when I want to try something new. When the girlfriend is away ;) ;)

EDIT: more like "must read" article about basics of southpaw fighting
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123