Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2008 6:53pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Length of Cycles

I am trying to create a long-term schedule of resistance training for grappling. What would the optimum length of resistance training cycles (strength, power, power-endurance) be if a competition date is not part of the equation? For myself, I think that the length of the strength cycle would be less than the power and endurance cycles since I have lifted for strength on and off for many years and I am very strong for my size. My endurance is not that great, however.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I begin, is there any reason in particular you are pursuing a linear periodization style of training rather than a conjugate style?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 11:20am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that you achieve less results if you are trying to train strength and endurance at the same time.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on how you do it and depends on your goals. With a linear method, you peak in one aspect (say strength) at the risk of plateauing on another (say endurance) because the attributes obtained in one phase are not necessarily carried to the next.

Now, if you are simply in need to peak in one aspect (strength, or size if you were a bodybuilder) and you do not need to train other aspects such as endurance, agility and explosiveness, focusing on one aspect will be fine.

For many athletes that don't have an "off-season", like most combat athletes, you don't really have that luxury at any point in time because you need all those aspects (strength, power, endurance, speed/agility). In a nutshell, most periodization programs would be based on some combinations of strenght, plyometrics and anaerobic endurance (some of it within your sport, and some of it as supplemental training).

You should really check Ross Enamait's work. He does not use a linear method at all. His method deals with strength, power and anaerobic endurance within weekly microcycles in 50-day cycles.

Having said that, your primary source of endurance training should be coming from your grappling. Now, if you can objectively say that your strength is optimal, and if you are grappling 2-3 times a week and you still have problems with endurance, then this might be one instance in which you would just focus on that aspect where you are lacking: endurance.

In any case, your current grappling schedule will dictate how much time you have available for additional training. Rather than trying to set up a long-term plan, decide first what you need to take care the most. Once you take care of that, then focus on getting your endurance primarily from grappling and your strength primarily from strength training (adding more endurance or strength training IF YOU NEED TO as you approach a competition date.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris