Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 3:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the guy behind the "just bleed" guy smoking a joint?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 4:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Amateur Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo1717
    I think that question was already answered - Chuck is an unorthodox and exceptional striker, the fact that he does Kempo doesn't prove the effectiveness of Kempo, it proves the effectiveness of Chuck. And UFC 1 was pretty much as Bloodsport as it gets, but keep in mind that it's a fictional movie based on BS claims, hence, no, those styles wouldn't be any more effective with 'no rules' than they already are in MMA. Ever heard of Vale Tudo? The most dominant style with no rules is Muay Thai-BJJ, just like UFC.
    Yeah, I mean technically all the deadly techniques of wing chun and aikido and stuff were available in the first tournaments. Sure, eye gouging and biting were "illegal".... but they didn't have any method of disqualification. You just got fined for each infringment. So... technically a wingchunner could have eye-poked his way to victory and would have just received a smaller paycheck due to the illegal moves. If these techniques are as effective as some people claim they are, I'm sure they would have been used by somebody other than John Hess.

After the first tournament a few changes were made to make things more fair for the strikers. Groin shots were legalised and the mat was made harder (and therefore easier to do fast footwork on). Even with this "help" for the less sucessful styles in the first tournament (Ie, strikers) they didn't well until they started crosstraining.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 4:13pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no Rulez - applied to fans too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 4:57pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe the ufc could make good money if they started a new league called the circus fighting championship:D where they made various styles fight each other.. it seems to be a good marked for it:D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 7:18pm

Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ixpin
    Is the guy behind the "just bleed" guy smoking a joint?

I don't see any smoke or a cherry, but maybe, because, you know, there are no rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 9:58am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is still style vs style. this is what people don't understand.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Amateur Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y
    it is still style vs style. this is what people don't understand.
    Yeah..... it's just not as obvious as it used to be.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I distinctly remember the day AFTER ufc 1.

...the world changed. And I almost wished it hadn't. Those of us who followed the early fighters, fights, and evolution of the sport longed for the day that this "underground" sport would finally open peoples eyes. Unfortunately I can't go to the movie or a restaraunt without seeing some knucklehead with a shaved head and goatie sporting a TAPOUT shirt. God knows he was watching MTV's Real World up until a couple of years ago. Yet those of us who have been following the sport since the beginning just smile and laugh at those who have no historical context of how things evolved.

I too long for the days of Coleman headbutts, Hess double knee bombs, Pat Smith elbows, and Joe Son's balls being smashed. Those were the motherfukin days.

Posted On:
    8/11/2008 7:40am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a white belt in JJJ before the first UFC, and the TKD and Karate friends always ridiculed the moves I would try and what they would really do. Now, unless you meet someone who lives in a bubble, people usually know what an arm/leg lock or choke is.

This was the age of BS when I went to my brothers Karate School to watch his class, and saw an old decrepted black belt mouthing about the UFC and how Harold Howard would destroy that upstart Gracie punk, because he trained with Howard and HH was "the toughest SOB on the planet, bla bla..."

The man no longer teaches and that school has a BJJ add on school! How times have changed. The world truley is not the same place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 9:00am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heres a pretty cool documentary on ufc 1, in case anyone hasnt seen it.

YouTube - gracie jiu jitsu
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345