Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So your gym is filled with state champs? Average guy I see looking to do MMA is pretty fresh. I've met two wrestlers getting in and one thai instructor, but most had no real background in anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2008 9:48pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so to everyone who says that this country needs muay thai or sanda or just regular kickboxing, i like to point to the kickboxing matches they still play on ESPN 2/classic. they are AWFUL, just the worst example of two people fighting for points and not the knockout. i really think that is the reason that more complete striking competitions have not made a comeback in the US. I personally like the WCL (though in the beginning it was a little light on talent), and think something like it but slightly less cheesy in production value would be great, but i dont see it happening for another few years until people forget the days of chuch norris and bill wallace

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/11/2008 10:46pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxThunderstone
    So your gym is filled with state champs? Average guy I see looking to do MMA is pretty fresh. I've met two wrestlers getting in and one thai instructor, but most had no real background in anything.
    What's your exposure to the sport? I don't know very many people who make it into an MMA match with no training, unless they lie about it.

I think as far as the record thing goes, you do see some mis-matches early in people's careers - and there are a lot of MMA people who try it about 3 times and change their mind about it being for them. Anybody with less then about 3 fights vs anybody else with <3 fights is going to be a coinflip most of the time.

BUT

That's NOTHING like the grooming that goes on in boxing. The careful padding of records in boxing is pretty obvious.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/11/2008 10:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This article does undermine several of the problems with modern boxing:

The insistence on having an undefeated record and the mindset that one loss will forever tarnish a fighter.

The lack of any real, modern marquee crossover stars, with maybe the exception of Mayweather (which will be touched on more below).

The loss of watching a solid fight on free TV, a major fight on Pay Cable and an Earthshaker on PPV, all the major fights are on PPV.

The weak undercards on most big ticket fights, shown on PPV which won't soften the blow of the first round blowout.

The governing bodies run the promotions and has led to underhanded dealmaking and has led to the dilution of championship and weak champions. Decent champions can and will go a year or more between title defenses.

MMA's PPV cards are overall stronger then modern boxing and features several high quality fights and will show solid cards of free TV.

With a pretty much clockwork like schedule of PPVs, MMA's major competition will come from pro-wrestling, which also has monthly PPV shows, designed to give the fans a feeling of coming away with a sense of fulfillment from dollar spent.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2008 11:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your exposure to the sport? I don't know very many people who make it into an MMA match with no training, unless they lie about it.
    Not what I mean. I mean that I see a lot of people coming in at the gym level with no real background. Average 20 something males that decide they wanna fight. Get some wrestlers, but if I were to put my team at ten people, we only have TWO wrestlers.

As for my exposure, I'm a jiujitsu instructor and have taught MMA before. Also got a fight.
    Last edited by MaxThunderstone; 8/11/2008 11:14pm at .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345