Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 1:22pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The article was fairly written. His comments of being bored with grappling i can understand completely, when you don't know that one man just tried to attempt a rear naked choke but just missed it does look like two guys rolling around on the ground. Striking is easier to understand, it doesn't take an expert to realise that huge hook which just missed would have KO'd the other guy.

I <3 boxing and <3 mma and take pride in the fact that under any rules which enable striking, proper boxing skills will give the fighter an advantage with their hands that no other art can give. You know its a good MA when all the other standup styles have to incorporate boxing or suffer mediocracy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 1:51pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gameness
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=40079673

TKD beats mma. NO BITCH YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS ONE YET FUH-Q
    It stops at 24 seconds for me.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This author doesn't know the difference between back mount and guard.

God forbid that some amount of education is required in order to enjoy a sport. Totally ignorant to, and unwilling to learn about the ground game.

What is really funny is how invariably these boxing writers spout off on how the sport of MMA is uncivilized "street fighting" when they are the ones that enjoy a slobber knocking brawl, which they dub as "sweet science".

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 2:10pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSDaemon
    This author doesn't know the difference between back mount and guard.

God forbid that some amount of education is required in order to enjoy a sport. Totally ignorant to, and unwilling to learn about the ground game.

What is really funny is how invariably these boxing writers spout off on how the sport of MMA is uncivilized "street fighting" when they are the ones that enjoy a slobber knocking brawl, which they dub as "sweet science".
    Except that this one didn't. He likes striking more than ground. Nothing wrong with that. I like takedowns more than either. His only semi silly point was about the records, but he also hinted around the right answer (that it's not possible to be so dominant because the skill set is so diverse) Decent article.

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 2:18pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good article. I happen to like grappling better than striking but that's me. I used to be a big boxing fan but since MMA has come along I tend to find boxing boring.

A question to the OP or anyone else. What can be done to save/improve boxing? There have several old threads on this but it might be fun to bring up again. As a starter how about changing to large boxing gloves to small MMA gloves?

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    What can be done to save/improve boxing?
    Learn to sprawl, break the clinch, and check leg kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 2:55pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Good article. I happen to like grappling better than striking but that's me. I used to be a big boxing fan but since MMA has come along I tend to find boxing boring.

A question to the OP or anyone else. What can be done to save/improve boxing? There have several old threads on this but it might be fun to bring up again. As a starter how about changing to large boxing gloves to small MMA gloves?
    Smaller gloves would be interesting, and why don't they open up the number of legal strikes? Backhands, hammer punches, superman punch, etc.

I also personally get annoyed at clinches in boxing, they need to be able to do more, i dunno toss the guy down, trip, whatever. So boring when two boxers clinch compared to two muay thai fighters.

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 3:22pm

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^I say boxing is fine just the way it is. Sadly it is going through a talent drought. I think it is a shitty coincidence that MMA took off running at the exact time boxing had a nosedive. I love watching MMA but to be honest 9 times out of 10 I will enjoy a boxing title fight more then a MMA title fight.....and all I do is ground fighting. I respect the two sports differences and take great pleasure from them both. Boxing may be down, but it certainly is far from out.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 3:40pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snakerattle79
    I think we can agree that for all the various reasons we might be attracted to blood sports the incredible dedication, the athleticism, the nobleness of competition it's the blood we're after most.
    I really don't. Sure, the fact that it's a combat sport adds an element of adrenaline and primal response, but I genuinely do not enjoy watching guys get injured in the ring, and blood does nothing (except, sometimes, cause early and unsatisfying ref stoppage). What I like to see are clean knockouts, submissions, escapes; techniques I can aspire to, and techniques I can understand (I never got that much out of watching MMA until I started practicing BJJ -- "Okay, I'm...sure they're very good at whatever it is they're doing, but I can't really tell who's winning").

Personally, I prefer a match with no blood, some good shots by both competitors, and a clean victory by KO or sub (and, to add a slightly petty parting shot, I don't like that whole medical issue of taking vast numbers of head punches that pro boxers have to contend with).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 3:58pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why does seeing someone get choked leave him feeling empty? What a weird thing to say. I bet if someone choked him till he tapped, he would appreciate it a bit more. I guess the most I can sympathize with him is that I hate watching wrestlers takedown >> LnP. I love takedowns, and l love a dangergous top game, but I can't stand wrestlers who lay in guard / sidemount and do nothing with it. I guess this writer feels the same way whenever it goes to the ground.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast